6 inch holes in TJI joists

Users who are viewing this thread

bridgett

Reaction score
this is a new construct house by me the homeowner...a licensed plumber is not necessary (although next time a must) so thought I would do it myself. I hired a plumber (licensed in another state)... he did a fine job with slab plumbing, ditches, sewer and water line tap. but...now inside the house he has drilled 6 inch holes in my 16 inch joists for 3 inch pipe. i did ask...yes I did...3 x...but he convinced me. so, the joists are engineered I joists and I've kept all the "holes" he's drilled. he has not glued the pipe yet, so that is easily taken out. how can I fix this? these holes are too big. thanx.

Scott D (CA)

Reaction score
TJI's have listed hole tolerances. The tables for your particular joists should have been included with the lumber. Max hole thickness as well as location on the span is clearly spelled out by the manufacturer. If you don't have the paperwork, contact your lumber supplier or the manufacturer. Here is some generic information.
https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/application/files/9814/9500/1501/1488927548_TJ-4000.pdf
http://www.ahjengineers.com/wp-cont...lowed-hole-charts-for-Trus-Joist-products.pdf

tji-hole-size.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The short answer...they may be okay. You need to verify that, as size and placement along with quantity are critical. FWIW, most of the strength in an engineered joist is in the top and the bottom cord...the middle is used to hold them in their proper position. As long as it can do that, it will be okay. If the middle is too compromised, the only good solution is to replace. You'd have to contact the manufacturer to see if there's an acceptable way to patch them...IMHO, gluing the puck back in probably isn't.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks