6" Clay Drain to PVC to 6" Clay Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffopus

Reaction score
I am working at fixing a sewer drain for my new home and wanted some advice. I have the main sewer drain leave my home to a sewer pit in the yard, the neighbors was also leading to this pit but they had their line disconnected and run straight to the main sewer line.

Both 6 inch clay pipes run into a four foot wide hole with concrete bottom contoured to direct sewage toward the end of a 6 Inch sewer line running to main street sewer line. I want to install an elbow, sweep preferably, to connect the clay pipe male end to the female clay pipe end going to the main sewer line in the street.

The problem I have is the line from my home is a clay pipe male end with plenty of room to fit a fernco coupling but the end of the clay pipe that goes to the street sewer is embedded in the wall. The lip around the end of the pipe is flush with the wall and they installed this piece of clay tile as the female end with its flange flush with the brick walls.

I will not be removing and replacing the sewer lines anytime soon but do want to contain the sewer lines here to make a closed system. The line from my house is an inch or two above the line to the street so there will be a slight downward slope but I want to know how I should proceed with this.

Digging up lines and such is out of the question for now, too much cost. Can I go to a four inch fitting to go to the clay tile or should I stick with all 6 inch and how do i get the end of a pvc into the female end of the clay tile.

A coupling will not work here but I thought if I could taper a PVC pipe and stick it in far enough and then seal with soil seal this would work for a year or two till I can afford to replace all sewer lines.

Attachments

• sewer.jpg
    sewer.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 12,018
Last edited:

worsnup

plumbing contractor
Reaction score
its called a hub bushing goes in the clay hub (female end) its just a gasket you should look for one that is clay x pvc

jeffopus

Reaction score
Using hub bushing

But using a hub bushing will require me to go down a size for the one end, are you saying I should go from 6 inch clay to the 4 inch pvc and end with the bushing?
I've added a picture to better show what I am doing.

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
No the clay hub is a larger size !

A 6" bushing pvc x clay will allow 6" pvc to slide into the clay hub then go with the fernco

on the other side !

That looks like your main house water service running though that manhole and you

need to keep that separated from the sewer to prevent a cross connection ! !

Which is what you have now when the sewer backs up it can then leak into the potable

water supply making everybody sick or killing them ! !

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Clay pipe has a hub and a spigot end as pictured below. The hub is large enough to fit the clay spigot into it. Now if I where hired to do this job for you, I would use a no-shear 6" clay x 6" CI,PVC coupling on the spigot end, a 45º elbow then a clean out tee then a 45º elbow. I would insert the PVC pipe into the clay hub pack oakum around the pipe into the hub then cement the joint. As for the clean out if there is room to bring up a riser to the top of the manhole I would bring it up so no one would have to enter the manhole to open the clean out.

A word of advice before you spend any money or time on this project, I would go to your city/village and talk to the plumbing inspector to see what type of pipe he wants you to use for the connection, if you are even allowed to make a direct connection, if he wants a clean out installed or not. I mean heck we are talking about using PVC pipe, but he might want you to use Schedule 40 or SDR 26. Maybe even might want the ASTM D 2241 SDR 26 pressure pipe or cast iron since you do have water service in the same manhole. I have been in towns where they want you to use clay still when connecting to clay. So for your own peace of mind talk to the inspector first.

Attachments

• clay_pipe.jpg
    clay_pipe.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,530
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks