5600 Econominder

Users who are viewing this thread

Rogeremeadows

Reaction score
I am troubleshooting an old 5600 Econominder water softener for excessive salt consumption. Does anyone know what controls the amount of water during brine tank refill cycle. I have a 3/4 cu ft system and the system adds back approx 15 gallons of water during this refill cycle.

Rogeremeadows

Reaction score
Thank you. Does this control the amount of brine solution added during the brine cycle or the water refill volume into the brine tank during the refill cycle.

Am trying to understand what controls the water refill volume in the brine tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you. Does this control the amount of brine solution added during the brine cycle or the water refill volume into the brine tank during the refill cycle.

Am trying to understand what controls the water refill volume in the brine tank.
Directly it controls the brine fill cycle -- the last cycle.
Since the brine draw cycle sucks out *all* of the brine, then that setting in effect controls both.

Once the brine is all sucked out during brine draw, the air check valve closes, and prevents sucking air. The remainder of the timed cycle is called slow rinse, because with no brine being sucked, water passes slowly thru the tank letting the brine slowly interact with the resin, and then get rinsed out with slow laminar flow.

Rogeremeadows

Reaction score
Directly it controls the brine fill cycle -- the last cycle.
Since the brine draw cycle sucks out *all* of the brine, then that setting in effect controls both.

Once the brine is all sucked out during brine draw, the air check valve closes, and prevents sucking air. The remainder of the timed cycle is called slow rinse, because with no brine being sucked, water passes slowly thru the tank letting the brine slowly interact with the resin, and then get rinsed out with slow laminar flow.
Thank you. Now I understand that relationship.

The confusing part is that I measured the amount of water after the refill and it was 14 gallons of fill water. Cam setting is on 8 lbs per regen.

Since this is a 3/4 cu ft bed, I was thinking the amount of fill water should be in the 2-3 gallon range instead of the 14 gallons.

Am I missing something? Thank you for your help/advise.

Reach4

Reaction score
Way off. You might want 6 lbs of salt, and that means 2 gallons of water needed.

So how do you fix that metering system? I see the softener has a BLFC. Check the service manual.

So that adjustment must set the injection time, and the label would be matched to the BLFC.

It could be that your BLFC is defective, but it could easily be something else.

For example, suppose the brine valve was leaking. The brine tank could continue to try to fill forever and the float valve is limiting the fill.

So in your studies, watch at what rate the brine tank fills (such as 0.25 gpm) and the length of time. Is it too high of a rate, or is it too much time?

Last edited:

Rogeremeadows

Reaction score
Way off. You might want 6 lbs of salt, and that means 2 gallons of water needed.

So how do you fix that metering system? I see the softener has a BLFC. Check the service manual.

So that adjustment must set the injection time, and the label would be matched to the BLFC.

It could be that your BLFC is defective, but it could easily be something else.

For example, suppose the brine valve was leaking. The brine tank could continue to try to fill forever and the float valve is limiting the fill.

So in your studies, watch at what rate the brine tank fills (such as 0.25 gpm) and the length of time. Is it too high of a rate, or is it too much time?
I called tech support with Pentair and they were very helpful. He was shocked at the 14 gallons also. He suspects the brine orifice 0.25 inch button is no longer there. Going to inspect it tomorrow. I will read up on the BLFC. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Reach4

Reaction score
BLFC is a flow regulator washer that keeps about the same gpm over a range of pressure differentials.

One test you might try is to note the height of the brine down the brine tube. Siphon/pump brine out to a big bucket. Does the level rise again between regenerations (such as overnight)? If so, you can't blame the BLFC for that.

You could use a strip of wood, such as a not-shiny yardstick, as a dipstick down the brine tube to measure brine levels.

If you pour water back from the bucket into the brine tank, pour down the brine well rather than over the top of the salt pellets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks