4th Amtrol Boilermate

Users who are viewing this thread

Heyjoe

Reaction score
It looks like I will be putting in my fourth boilmater in 25 years. The first tank developed a pin hole leak after 17 years,the second lasted 3 years before it stared leak around it’s base.Now, the third one lasting 5 years seems to have a hole in the heating coil in the indirect tank.It does have a lifetime warranty, but this time it really caused a headache, because the leak must be really small and not visible.
This whole process really has me confused.Last night I disconnected the boilermate/ indirect water heater and this morning with it out of the loop completely the pressure still went up.
1.new expansion tank set at 12, even installed a larger tank.
2.New Pressure reducing valve set at 12,
3 no indirect connected and the pressure still goes up.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks like I will be putting in my fourth boilmater in 25 years. The first one developed a pin hole leak after 17 years,the second lasted 3 years before it stared leak around it’s base.
Is that boiler water leaking, or potable water leaking?

If boiler water leaking, do you lose water from your heating system normally?

Heyjoe

Reaction score
Is that boiler water leaking, or potable water leaking?

If boiler water leaking, do you lose water from your heating system normally?

It’s boiler water through the relief valve. I only lose water when the a radiant floor zone calls for heat and the boilermate in on line. When I shut off the return valve from the boilermate and run the floor zone I don’t lose water and the pressure stays below 30psi.I don’t think it’s possible for boiler water to be drawn in with potable water as long as there is sufficient water in the boilermate.

Reach4

Reaction score
It’s boiler water through the relief valve. I only lose water when the a radiant floor zone calls for heat and the boilermate in on line. When I shut off the return valve from the boilermate and run the floor zone I don’t lose water and the pressure stays below 30psi.I don’t think it’s possible for boiler water to be drawn in with potable water as long as there is sufficient water in the boilermate.
I have never worked with a boiler. But I am thinking that a bigger thermal expansion tank for your system would make sense. This is because you lose water under some conditions. EDIT: I was thinking of water loss when the boilermate is not leaking-- why is the Boilermate longivity so low. I was wondering if you might lose water from the relief valve, that has to be made up with new water.

When you lose water, the replacement water brings in oxygen.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score

You don't need to replace the indirect to fix a leaking PRV.

Have you monitored/tested the chemistry of the boiler system water? The internal heat exchanger coils of indirects don't usually develop leaks if the water has a fairly neutral pH.

Heyjoe

Reaction score
You don't need to replace the indirect to fix a leaking PRV.

Have you monitored/tested the chemistry of the boiler system water? The internal heat exchanger coils of indirects don't usually develop leaks if the water has a fairly neutral pH.
No, I’ve never tested the PH but I will now out of curiosity. I am not replacing the “indirect” to replace a PRV. I am replacing the indirect because it is apparently adding extra water into the boiler.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
No, I’ve never tested the PH but I will now out of curiosity. I am not replacing the “indirect” to replace a PRV. I am replacing the indirect because it is apparently adding extra water into the boiler.

You've done the experiment of isolating it with valves?

From your other threads I was under the impression that the pressure rose & fell with boiler temperature, but not over time. With a leaking heat exchanger in the indirect the pressure would creep up over hours/days across all temperatures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks