48 X 48 Shower Custom Or Standard

Users who are viewing this thread

jmerritt

Reaction score
I am planning to remodel my daughter's bathroom and one of the items to consider is expanding the existing 32 x 32 shower to 48 x 48. However, in talking with Lowe's they say that the new dimension is considered a custom size so the shower pan and glass side and door will all be custom which is considerably more than a standard size. Is 48 x 48 a non-standard size or does the Lowe's rep not know what he is talking about?

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It sounds like you are looking for a kit, verses a tiled shower. Is this correct?

A couple of things to keep in mind, the floor must be level or you must make it so, and you'll have to almost certainly move the drain.

Had you considered tiling one? Check out www.johnbridge.com

jmerritt

Reaction score
It sounds like you are looking for a kit, verses a tiled shower. Is this correct?

A couple of things to keep in mind, the floor must be level or you must make it so, and you'll have to almost certainly move the drain.

Had you considered tiling one? Check out www.johnbridge.com

I am going to tile the shower walls and floor. I am considering a Kerdi kit which is what I used when I remodeled our showers at our house and am very happy with the results. The Lowe's question was more about the glass surround on the one wall and the door. I know the Kerdi pan is available in a 48 x 48 configuration because that is what I used in our master bath. Moving the plumbing and tiling is something I have done quite a bit of.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you see above where it says "Inbox"? You may see a red indicator over that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
48" square tiling kits are readily available, along with drop in pans. Probably at least 3-4 manufactures, including Schluter, Laticrete, Mapei, and probably others. As to glass walls, sorry, haven't looked for one that size, so do not know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks