45psi at pressure tank, yet no water from tap... sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Not-a-plumber

Reaction score
Hi guys, my water pressure is acting weird...

Everything will seem to work fine then the pressure at tap slowly declines til there’s nothing.

At first the pump would turn on after a few seconds but now about 2 weeks later the pump won’t turn on for about 3-5 min.

When the pump turns back on, instantly pressure would be restored (not low pressure building up steadily)

Today my wife was in shower and water turned off so I went to check pressure gauge, it still said 45 psi, but she had no water, I was about to tap the pressure switch tube with a screwdriver when the pump turned on by itself and she had water again.

Pressure built to 50psi, pump turned off then declined to about 45, then just stayed there even while the shower ran for a few more min. I closed the contacts manually, pump turned on but contacts did not hold.

Not sure what to do here couldn’t find the same issue on internet.

Please help,
Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
Today my wife was in shower and water turned off so I went to check pressure gauge, it still said 45 psi, but she had no water, I was about to tap the pressure switch tube with a screwdriver when the pump turned on by itself and she had water again.
Could be a clogged nipple/tube that sends water to both the pressure gauge and pressure switch.

Not-a-plumber

Reaction score
Could be a clogged nipple/tube that sends water to both the pressure gauge and pressure switch.

There are 2 separate tubes that go to pressure gauge, and switch.

So you think I should take it apart and try cleaning he pipes? What would be the best way to clean them?

Reach4

Reaction score
There are 2 separate tubes that go to pressure gauge, and switch.

So you think I should take it apart and try cleaning he pipes? What would be the best way to clean them?
Something is blocking the path between the shower and the pressure gauge, presuming the pressure gauge is good. And if the pressure switch is good, something is blocking the path between the shower and the pressure switch. So what path is in common between the pressure switch and the shower? It also would seem that the restriction is not in the path from the pump to the shower.

How about a photo showing the pressure switch, the pressure gauge, and the input to the pressure tank.

Last edited:

Not-a-plumber

Reaction score
Something is blocking the path between the shower and the pressure gauge, presuming the pressure gauge is good. And if the pressure switch is good, something is blocking the path between the shower and the pressure switch. So what path is in common between the pressure switch and the shower? It also would seem that the restriction is not in the path from the pump to the shower.

How about a photo showing the pressure switch, the pressure gauge, and the input to the pressure tank.

Attachments

• 415A638F-8038-4238-B2F4-1CC4B2C56622.jpeg
    415A638F-8038-4238-B2F4-1CC4B2C56622.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 409
  • E5CC4F42-1C75-4A7D-A27B-C144DABD73C3.jpeg
    E5CC4F42-1C75-4A7D-A27B-C144DABD73C3.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 414

Not-a-plumber

Reaction score

Ok, I’m not sure either the switch or the gauge is working properly, but after the valve is the split off to the outside tap then softener, then hot water tank and everything else but the outside tap doesn’t work when everything else doesn’t work.

Just came in from outside, wife said water had been off for an hr, had to start the switch again, hold it on til the contacts hold. Pressure gauge said 42 psi (my switch is set for 30-50) gauge didn’t move while I had to hold the contacts together, after they held for a while it climbed cutting out around 45. I tried closing contacts again to get it to 50, but they would not hold.

1 more thing, one of the times I pushed the contacts together, they held, but the pump didn’t come on for maybe 15 sec...

Reach4

Reaction score
Photo was informative, but did not show an obvious problem. I think I would replace both the pressure switch and the pressure gauge. When you replace the pressure gauge, you can clean the existing nipple, or use a new brass nipple. Instead of a new pressure gauge, you could put a garden hose thread pressure gauge on the drain valve, and see if it aggrees with the old gauge. Plus that could be used to sample pressures at various spots around the house, including the drain valve on the water heater.

Not-a-plumber

Reaction score
Photo was informative, but did not show an obvious problem. I think I would replace both the pressure switch and the pressure gauge. When you replace the pressure gauge, you can clean the existing nipple, or use a new brass nipple. Instead of a new pressure gauge, you could put a garden hose thread pressure gauge on the drain valve, and see if it aggrees with the old gauge. Plus that could be used to sample pressures at various spots around the house, including the drain valve on the water heater.
Ok awesome I’ll do that thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why’s that? I don’t have a pex crimper, so I’d have to buy one, is it necessary?
I cannot tell from the pic but it could be a gate valve or a round washer and set valve, both of which can become problematic. Gate valve or washer can separate from the stem and not fully open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks