$400 vs $900 irrigation pump

Users who are viewing this thread

55tbirdfan

Reaction score
I am replacing 30 yr old irrigation pump for my sprinkler system. Was a 1½hp Myers pump. Pump still running but think the body has just about rusted thru.

I am looking at pumps in the $400 range and wondering if I should be looking at more expensive pumps but do not know what the advantage is.

Both higher priced and mid range priced seem to have same hp, gpm, cast iron housing and polymer impeller.

Wondering if I will get 2x the life out more expenssive, (allegedly) better made pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
One thing that can differ is the number of stages. More stages can generate higher pressure.

SuperSurvival

Reaction score
Probably very little difference. Even the expensive pumps are cheaply built these days. Post some links of the pumps you are looking at.
How about this one;

55tbirdfan

Reaction score
Probably very little difference. Even the expensive pumps are cheaply built these days. Post some links of the pumps you are looking at.
I was looking at 1½ hp centrifugal pumps by Sta rite, Berkeley Myers and Goulds. All of these were $700+ -$1100.
The big box versions are around $400 for Zoeller, Barracuda and Wayne.
All 1½ Hp, 1½ or 2" inlet and 1½ outlet and all are 230Volt.

If I jump up to 2hp pump on a couple the impeller is brass instead of polymer.
Original was a Myers 1½ centrifugal pump, about 70gpm, with 230 volt.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I was looking at 1½ hp centrifugal pumps by Sta rite, Berkeley Myers and Goulds. All of these were $700+ -$1100.
The big box versions are around $400 for Zoeller, Barracuda and Wayne.
All 1½ Hp, 1½ or 2" inlet and 1½ outlet and all are 230Volt.

If I jump up to 2hp pump on a couple the impeller is brass instead of polymer.
Original was a Myers 1½ centrifugal pump, about 70gpm, with 230 volt.
Is the pump you are replacing a Jet Pump or a Sprinkler pump?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the pump you are replacing a Jet Pump or a Sprinkler pump?
His original post stated it is an irrigation pump. 55tbirdfan, stay with a 1.5hp pump. Increasing to 2 hp the well may not be able to provide enough water (slight chance it cannot). You know 1.5 hp works. Nothing wrong with the big box store pumps. Most newer pumps the motors are all the same (made in Mexico) and they burnout or the bearings seize before the pump parts ever wears out. Pretty much what the Valveman stated. I had a Sears irrigation pump (Sta-Rite), bought in 1997 and it still was running when I sold the home in 2016.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks