4 x 3 reducing bushing versus reducing coupling

Users who are viewing this thread

tlfamm

Reaction score
In the process of converting the clapped-out CI DWV system in my 100-year-old house. Planned on a 3" toilet drain line fitted into a 4" SanTee in the 4" stack, using a 4 x 3 reducing coupling. (In the first-floor ceiling)

Then I got a look at the structural butchery used during the original CI installation: 20" of floor-joist removed ('patched' with a 2 x 2.5 x 24 scab), and cracks in the tile under the toilet. So, I need to sister the floor-joist, but any repair will interfere somewhat with the hub of the 4 x 3 reducing coupling. Space is at a premium.

Is a 4 x 3 reducing bushing an acceptable alternative to fit the 3" horizontal toilet drain line?

Note: a 4 x 4 x 3 SanTee is not an option in this case.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the tee with a bushing is acceptable, I cannot visualize why the "smaller" 4x3 would NOT be. But also not sure, from your description, whether a san tee of any size is acceptable.

tlfamm

Reaction score
If the tee with a bushing is acceptable, I cannot visualize why the "smaller" 4x3 would NOT be. But also not sure, from your description, whether a san tee of any size is acceptable.

The fitting I need to replace with PVC is a 4" CI closet bend about 16" in overall length. About 1" downstream from the upward bend was a 1-1/2" side port at 60 degrees (horizontal), into which the lead drain line from our bathtub was plumbed (via a 45 degree bronze ell). The only 4" PVC fitting I could find that duplicates that capability is:

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/4-...nitary-tee-with-left-side-inlet-p416-420.html

which locks me into a 4" tee inlet for the toilet waste line.

Last edited:

tlfamm

Reaction score
Well, if I am reading this correctly, you can't do that either unless you put in a vent for the bathtub before it connects to the toilet drain.

I plan on venting the bathtub - sink also (neither is currently vented).

tlfamm

Reaction score
Using a flush bush to reduce to 3" is fine.
Thanks, Terry, (and HJ also) - very helpful to have a sounding board for technical questions.

I rehabbed my house 35 years ago. In hindsight I wish I had dealt with DWV replacement then, while the walls and ceiling were open - on the other hand, I did get 35 years of use out of the existing system.

The first inkling of trouble occurred about 34 years ago when I noticed corrosion bumps on the horizontal CI waste line from the kitchen. I had it replaced with PVC by a professional plumber. He said, "you know your drain system was built with service-weight cast iron, right"?

I said, "what's 'service-weight'"?

I certainly found out. :)

(The upstairs bathroom was created in 1943; given wartime materials shortages, I'm surprised it was even possible - maybe they plumbed with used pipe?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks