4" storm drain system capacity

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I have a surface drain system around my home, which gutters feed into. It is constructed of of 4" SDR 35 pvc sewer pipe, and I believe the installers were aiming for 1/8"/foot slope.

What's the flow capacity of this pipe at this grade?

I see several conflicting references on the internet. For instance, NDS says 135 GPM. Some other online calculators say closer to 70... that's a pretty big difference and my 100 year rain intensity probably brings me closer to 80ish GPM.

Last edited:

Rossn

Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff - that is great to hear! If I am looking around 80GPM, and have two branches come together like this, do you think I am still good?

index.php

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would trust 80gpm but you could have some over flows that normally wouldn't carry water but if the main gets backed up just shoots out away from building

Rossn

Reaction score
Thanks. I have grading that slopes towards the house, hence the drain system and the question. The good news is that there should be a little capacity before it would overflow into the home, and as long as I'm not dramatically exceeding the limits (or clogged), I should be good. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks