4" or 3" Water Closet (Toilet) DW pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dohc, Jun 14, 2019 at 9:16 AM.

1. dohc

dohc New Member

Is there any reason I would NOT want to use 4" pipe all the way to the toilet flange. I could reduce it down to 3", but it is just as easy to keep it 4" and uses less fittings (no need for a 3" to 4" reducer). Is 4" ok?

As for the vent, that is about 5' away and will be 3" to fit in the wall.

4inch Toilet Pipe.png

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The toilet can be a 3" and the vent can be a 2"
    You can also do the whole thing in 4" if you want.

I think 3" has better drain line carry for a single or double installation. Water kind of flattens out on 4".

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If you use 3 inch pipe, you should consider a 4 x 3 closet bend at the toilet. There are various forms. The one pictured is the "spigot" type.
    [​IMG]

If you have a lavatory as part of the install, that can often serve to vent the toilet too.

5. dohc

dohc New Member

I will use 4" all the way to the closet flange then as it is less parts.

Could a lavatory, using a 2" pipe running about 6', drain and direct vent into this 4" between the toilet and 3" vent?

Thanks for all the help Sink Toilet.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 11:10 AM
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    With the reduced water use fixtures of today, there is no reason to use 4โ€, except as a building drain. Using 3โ€ allows the pipe to be scoured properly, which reduces clogging.

A toilet can be wet vented through the lavatory vent, by connecting the 2โ€ drain downstream of the closet bend.