4" hubless repair help - middle of run

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott_V

Reaction score
I need to remove and replace a short section of my buried 4" CI main waste line. Seems to me I'll need the hubless couplings to slide back over the existing to allow me to place the repair piece, then slide the couplings back over thr repair piece. What couplings do I need to do this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A no-hub coupling is used for cast iron pipe. It's a metal shielded coupling that prevents pipe shift and tightens up with a 5/16" nut driver or torque wrench.

Scott_V

Reaction score
Will that no-hub coupling slip all the way onto the cut off pipe so that I can drop the repair piece in place, flush up against the cut-off ends, and then slide the couplings half way over the repair piece? Know what I mean? In other words, if I slip 2 no hubs only half way onto the cutoff ends, there will be no room to drop the repair piece in place right?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can either remove or loosen the metal reinforcement part enough to get it back away from the part you're replacing, then the rubber part will be able to be folded back. Slide the new pipe in there, fold it back, slide the metal sleeve back, tighten...

Sethamin

Reaction score
Take off the shield and slide it onto the existing pipe, then put the coupling on the new pipe and roll it back. Do that for both sides, put in your new piece of pipe, pop the rubber onto the existing pipe, slide the shields onto the gaskets, and tighten. See the video at the end of this article for an illustration (skip to the 1:30 mark).

Also note that you don't want to cut the new pipe flush to the cut-off ends. There's a band on the inside of the coupling gasket which bridges between the two sections of pipe, and you need to account for that. I think it's about 1/2" wide - though it may be different if you're using a heavy duty coupling (not really sure).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks