3rd Floor Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

R3Improvements

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
r3improvements.com
I'm remodeling my 3rd floor bathroom. In order to maximize my bathroom, I would like to put a 90 degree elbow in my existing 4" cast iron plumbing stack (it currently runs straight through the middle of the bathroom and exits the roof immediately above the bathroom), run about 3 feet of horizontal pvc at a 1/4" pitch, and then put another 90 degree elbow in and vent it through the roof.

In the 3 foot PVC section mentioned above (horizontal PVC with 1/4" pitch) I would like to tie in the toilet drain pipe. I could vent the toilet as well.

Is this against code?

I apologize, I posted a similar question yesterday, but I'm not sure I was clear in what I was trying to do.

R3Improvements

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
r3improvements.com
THe house only has one vertical Waste and Vent Stack. This is the stack/Vent I'm proposing putting the 90 degree elbow in. Is this still a problem?

Thanks for your quick response and help.

R3Improvements

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
r3improvements.com
Good advice on checking with local code. If they say it's okay to have 3 baths going into one stack, do you think its okay to do what I origally proposed above?

THanks for all your help. THis website is pretty amazing.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
That configuration is pretty common here, in older buildings.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". The whole thing has to be straight up & down, no offsets or elbows of any kind, for it to work properly.

If you think about it for a couple minutes, I'm sure you can see why...? :eek:

Last edited:

jdgoodman

Journeyman Plumber
Reaction score
You can not drain a fixture on one floor into the vent of another fixture on the floor below. The toilet on the bottom level is most likley re-vented but the one on the main level is not. I have seen what you want to do done in many homes and it works fine but it is not to code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks