[3D diagram] Basement Remodel Bathroom Help (add shower)

Users who are viewing this thread

nrphillip2

Reaction score
Good Day All,

I'm not a plumber. I'm handy and willing to learn. I want to add a shower to my basement bathroom. From what I've read I don't think what is currently in there is up to code due to venting issues. See left picture for setup. anything under the slab is a guess since I haven't broken concrete yet.

I have a bought several books (Code Check, Complete Plumbing, etc.) in an attempt to understand DWV code. It's not gone well. As soon as I think I get it I read a tiny bit of code that throws my plan off. Props to you for learning this stuff! I live in Des Moines IA USA where we are permitted AAVs. I can do the calculations on vent sizes and drain sizes. The only thing that's throwing me off is how I'm going to get everything in here on one AAV vent and also if it all looks ok assuming the proper size pipe/pitch is used.

I'm asking for your gracious help with two things
1) If anyone has any ideas at all how I can make this work please feel free to comment. End goal shower, toilet, and lav in a bathroom up to code. I don't care where they are or what piping is needed. I'll jackhammer the whole floor if I have to.

2) Here is my proposed setup. There are a couple things that need to be considered when looking at this.
  • I didn't put in a vent for the toilet but I'd tie that into the vent from the lavatory to make it a wet vent.
  • There is a vent on the tub that is on the first floor but I didn't draw it in.
  • The pink pipe going up the back wall I'd like to not put in a dry vent but rather an AAV and thus chop that thing in half terminating it in the wall with an access door and breathing slits.
  • Its a mess. I learned how to do 3D modeling early this week (I'm not great) just so I can give you all a better idea since I'm not great with words.
2014-12-30 20_44_24-Working Copy - SketchUp-compressed.jpg Possible Solution-compressed.jpg

Possible Solution-compressed.jpg

2014-12-30 20_44_24-Working Copy - SketchUp-compressed.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
For the water closet to be wet vented, the lavatory drain must tie into it's drain prior the connection to the main line. The lavatory drain line must be 2" to act as a wet vent, and should be anyway if running below concrete.

The shower must be vented, and the lav and shower vents can tie together in the overhead. The vents must remain vertical until they are at least 42" above the floor, after which time the may run horizontally, but must always be pitched to drain.
I would not recommend using an AAV, as it does nothing to vent positive pressures in the system.

nrphillip2

Reaction score
Got it! I do not know the underslsb plumbing yet but will find out soon. Branching off the toilet before the main is a good idea, it will save me from another vent pipe to tie in.

If those are my only issues though I think I'm in luck! Can any one else provide feedback before I submit these plans to my building inspector and file for a permit?

nrphillip2

Reaction score
Going to be submitting plans to the inspector on Monday any last minute advice? Anyone see issues to my plan?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Unless your modeling has improved greatly in the past couple of days, I would loose it in favor of a properly drawn isometric diagram showing pipe sizes and what fittings you intend to use at each change in direction. Don't forget to show the cleanouts also.

nrphillip2

Reaction score
Pipe fittings and sizes will be correct I'm not concerned about that. This is a conceptual drawing. Final plans will be drawn correctly with the right symbols.

All I'm asking is. Regarding the venting is will it meet ipc code and if any one see any glaring problems withy the layout

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks