35SF Guest & Master Bathroom Remodeling Project

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeekiM

Reaction score
2022 is the year that I finally remodel both of my bathrooms (after living here for 30 years without a single bathroom improvement).

This is the before and after photos of my guest bathroom...

Both bathrooms are back-to-back mirror images of each other. and at 35 square feet, it felt a little like playing Tetris to get everything to fit (and to code)... We still need to add the towel racks, toilet paper holder and some shelving...

The only difference between my guest bathroom and my upcoming master bathroom remodel is the position of the entry way and the master bathroom has a standing shower (versus the guest bathroom bathtub)...

Before (View from right outside the doorway)
qp7gQZw.jpg

After (View from right outside the doorway)
Q0UsMD7.jpg

Before (Back wall of tub/shower)
dNCtml3.jpg

After (Back wall of tub/shower)
aBmnStx.jpg

Before (Shower Fixtures)
RvAsmo3.jpg

After (Shower Fixtures)
P5CfFHC.jpg

Before (Tub Fixtures)
td18VgM.jpg

After (Tub Fixtures)
lPTow9H.jpg

Before (Vanity - Lower View)
seqyK4S.jpg

After (Vanity - Lower View)
kQtty2K.jpg

Before (Vanity - Upper View)
BdODqoT.jpg

After (Vanity - Upper View)
0WpP1tq.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks great. You really opened up the space a lot! The tile work looks great. What tub did you use?

On my showers with bars that use a wall union/elbow, I like to have my outlet on one side of the valve and the bar on the other side spaced out 5" each from center. The hose drapes under the controls without touching. But the whole install looks really good. Nice job

MikeekiM

Reaction score
Looks great. You really opened up the space a lot! The tile work looks great. What tub did you use?

On my showers with bars that use a wall union/elbow, I like to have my outlet on one side of the valve and the bar on the other side spaced out 5" each from center. The hose drapes under the controls without touching. But the whole install looks really good. Nice job

Thanks!

Yes, that makes sense... For us, we decided to center the bar and the valve since it was our main shower head, but I completely see the rationale for the layout you are describing...

The bathtub is from Americh... It's their Americh Kent 6030 LH ADA soaking tub. The ADA model is an 18" height, which was about 5" higher than our original tub, allowing for a lot deeper soaking experience for us. The standard (non-ADA) was 22" high, which would have been a lot higher than we were willing to live with. Climbing in and out of that 22" tub would have been a chore for daily showering...

The Kent model was perfect because the interior flooring width of the tub was very "shower friendly"...

Here is the vendor model link: https://americh.com/skirteddetails.php?product_id=540

MikeekiM

Reaction score

Oh...and actually, I was initially extremely disappointed with our new bathroom remodel... I found it was a beautiful bathroom that was completely unusable...

We had absolutely no counter space because of the smaller vanity that we were forced to go with because of the required spacing between the toilet and the vanity (the original bathroom layout was not to code, which is why there was more counter space).

Evertime I used the bathroom to wash-up, I felt like I had to bring a toiletry bag in with me. It was like I wasn't living with my new bathroom...it was more like I was visiting my new bathroom on a daily basis... It was super frustrating...

I ended up replacing the fixed lighted mirror with a premium lighted medicine cabinet that was the exact same dimensions. That one update was a GAME CHANGER. It turned what was a hugely disappointing and unusable bathroom into a very usable bathroom...

Here are some photos with then new medicine cabinet... Honestly, with the medicine door closed, most people wouldn't even notice the change... When I am washing up, I leave the medicine cabinet door open (with the 170 degree hinged door), and it is a thing of beauty from a usability perspective...

OpIFR4m.jpg

a94IggX.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plus you have the switches covered! Those cabinets are really cool. I swear half of our remodel projects work is re-routing pipe around recessed medicine cabinets.

MikeekiM

Reaction score
OK!!!!!! I am finally ready to give you all an update on my second bathroom (aka "The Master Bathroom)...

We are about 98% done... All that's left is to put up things like towel bars, toilet paper holder, etc... Everything else is pretty much complete...

Here are some before and after photos!

BEFORE - View as you enter the bathroom. The shower is behind the open door on the lefthand side.

gMdANwn.jpg

AFTER - View as you enter the bathroom. The shower is behind the open door on the lefthand side.

GuPdAwk.jpg

BEFORE - The old shower, including some interior pictures of the shower, since the old shower doors were frosted.

ogv7TS0.jpg

ISYG7In.jpg

jqSMx57.jpg

AFTER - The new shower, including some interior shots.

2LW8S9X.jpg

8IJMcWZ.jpg

jhuzIio.jpg

BEFORE - Side View (From Shower) of the Toilet and Vanity

mThSIoW.jpg

AFTER - Side View (From Shower) of the Toilet and Vanity

spJDStf.jpg

BONUS - We decided to get heated tiles in the Master Bathroom... In hindsight, I should have done the same in the Guest Bathroom... Oh well...

JvVfsKe.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks