3 wire submersible pump surge protector

Users who are viewing this thread

andybull

Reaction score
I want to install a surge protector at the well head for my 240 volt, 3 wire submersible pump. Is there such a thing and if so, what is the name and model number? By three wire I mean, a wire for the red, black, yellow leads plus a ground.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you install your control box outdoors at the well, you could protect about as well with a 2-wire + ground protector.

The surge would be coming from the powerline generally, I would think. Or a strike nearby the well would still use the power lines as a path to cause potential damage. A direct lightning strike is rare.

You could use a 3-phase protector to protect after the control box. Would a 240 3-phase protector be a high enough voltage rating, or would the start winding (red wire) require a higher rating? A control box with a run capacitor (CRC) may limit that voltage. I don't know. In https://www.zoro.com/eaton-surge-protection-device-3-phase-480v-cvx050-480d/i/G1958171/ note that it does "filtering", which may be important to your mission.

I am not a pro, and maybe somebody will have better info.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Normally a surge protector is installed at the control box with a 3 wire pump or at the disconnect or breaker.

I don’t normally install them, so I can’t recommend a brand. Years ago I worked for a company that installed Red Jacket Pumps. Red Jacket included a surge arrestor with every control box. At that time red jacket was an independent company and made their own pump ends, motor and control boxes. Now they are part of Xylem and just another brand name for their products.

on large VFD installations I use the Raycap arrestors, they cost $3-500.

TVL

Reaction score
Over the years, I've had two 1HP control boxes that came with the following installed inside the box:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JO...373231?hash=item263013fbaf:g:GN8AAOSwlq9eDeVq

I've also purchased a couple of the same a number of years back. One did its job by saving the equipment it was connected to. If you can get one, I don't think you would be disappointed. The size fits perfectly inside a Franklin motor control box.

Hope this is helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks