3-Way switch diagram accuracy?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Electric DIYr, May 27, 2018.

1. Electric DIYr

Electric DIYr New Member

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Stuff

Stuff Active Member

Yes, that original diagram is wrong. You would need a 14/4 or two 14/2's between the two lights. There needs to be a white neutral, then your choice of colors - black hot switched to feed lights, red traveler, and blue traveler (or 2nd white with tape). Note for using two 14/2's you need to be using plastic boxes and NM wiring.

[​IMG]

5. Electric DIYr

Electric DIYr New Member

6. Electric DIYr

Electric DIYr New Member

Hey Stuff, thanks for the reply and also thanks to Reach4. Appreciate your diagram, Stuff, it confirms what I thought had to be the case. When I found the original I initially thought it was just the ticket since I have a very hard place to fish cable into and through and thought that 14/3 would be able to slide through. 14/4 which I have some of is going to be a tight squeeze. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Someone got distracted adn did not continue the neutral wire. You cannot not always trust diagrams in a book. I once saw a three way switch diagram where they switched the neutrals, which was absolutely improper/illegal.

8. Stuff

Stuff Active Member

I had a thought: If it is really bad to pull a new cable another option is to use two of the new smart switches. Some of them only need a single traveler but a lot more expensive. Master at the power source and slave for the end switch.