3-Way switch diagram accuracy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stuff

Reaction score
Yes, that original diagram is wrong. You would need a 14/4 or two 14/2's between the two lights. There needs to be a white neutral, then your choice of colors - black hot switched to feed lights, red traveler, and blue traveler (or 2nd white with tape). Note for using two 14/2's you need to be using plastic boxes and NM wiring.

img14.gif

Electric DIYr

Reaction score
Yes, that original diagram is wrong. You would need a 14/4 or two 14/2's between the two lights. There needs to be a white neutral, then your choice of colors - black hot switched to feed lights, red traveler, and blue traveler (or 2nd white with tape). Note for using two 14/2's you need to be using plastic boxes and NM wiring.

img14.gif

Electric DIYr

Reaction score
Hey Stuff, thanks for the reply and also thanks to Reach4. Appreciate your diagram, Stuff, it confirms what I thought had to be the case. When I found the original I initially thought it was just the ticket since I have a very hard place to fish cable into and through and thought that 14/3 would be able to slide through. 14/4 which I have some of is going to be a tight squeeze. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Someone got distracted adn did not continue the neutral wire. You cannot not always trust diagrams in a book. I once saw a three way switch diagram where they switched the neutrals, which was absolutely improper/illegal.

Stuff

Reaction score
I had a thought: If it is really bad to pull a new cable another option is to use two of the new smart switches. Some of them only need a single traveler but a lot more expensive. Master at the power source and slave for the end switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks