3 wax rings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Drivel111

Reaction score
I had vinyl planks put in the bathroom recently. They cut a hole for the toilet, but because the vinyl planks are thick and floating, the flange is about 3/4” -1” lower than the new floor. I had one plumber come out and say he could stack 3 rings but he wouldn’t guarantee it wouldn’t leak. He said ideally the flange needs to be brought up closer to level with the new floor. The cost for this is $600. I have 3 toilets. I really don’t want to spend upwards of $2000 to move flanges up, but if it’s the more sure fire thing to do, maybe it’s worth it? Has anyone here heard of stacking 3 rings? Is it advisable or am I asking for trouble? Here is a pic of the hole the floor guys cut out. It also probably should have been cut a bit more toward the bottom as the entire flange is not exposed at the bottom.

Attachments

• 93F8A0CC-79B2-4291-B834-B4E9D3C42D94.jpeg
    93F8A0CC-79B2-4291-B834-B4E9D3C42D94.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 138

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We hate those crappy coated steel rings, but if you want, you can clean them well and then stack as many spacer rings as you need.
Z-v_JtqcpEx_.JPG

We long brass closet bolts, and silicone each ring to the next and the flange, and use stainless steel or brass washer and nuts to hold the stack in place...to get up to floor level.

BTW, vinyl planking in a bathroom is a TERRIBLE idea. Sorry, but way too much opportunity for mold disaster after one leak, anywhere.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
comment on the floating vinyl planks, I havent had a lot of problem with vinyl per say , but other floating fake wood has been . I just dont like the oportunity for water to get under the floor and spreading The vinyl might not be as bad as the pergo or other brands of wood or woodlike product. but an oportunity for problems with mold and water damage seems high

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks