3 valves work, 3 valves don't...help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Travis Carlson

Reaction score
I have a 6 zone system controlled in (2) different valve boxes. In box 1, which houses zones 1, 2 and 3, I have red, blue, and green. In box 2, which houses zones 4, 5 and 6, I have orange, yellow, and brown. I set the system to run automatically and zones 1,2 and 3 work just like they should, come on, run for 30 minutes, and switch to the next. When it comes to switching from zone 3 to 4, i get nothing, and from 4 to 5, and 5 to 6, nada. SO, I did some troubleshooting and the valves for zones 4, 5 and 6 will work just fine if I turn them on manually by hand in the control box. I put (3) 9v batteries together and touched the solenoids to the batteries and the zones came on, so I figured it was the electrical line coming from the control panel that was bad. I wasn't getting any voltage from the control panel at that valve box so I ran a new line, switched all the wires but I'm still not getting any voltage from the lines for 4,5, and 6. So I switched the line for Zone 1 and put it in the slot for zone 4 to test the zone I know works, and wouldn't you know it, it works. So there goes my theory that half my control panel is bad. So, if its not the control panels, its not the solenoids, not the diaphragms, and not the brand new wire I replaced, what is it? I spent 5 hours today messing with this thing and I'm about ready to throw an old time sprinkler out in the yard and call it a day. Help!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would check the ground wire. Usually the valves are linked to a single ground wire and if the link is broken the valves prior to the breakage will work, but the rest will not. Might just have a bad connection

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A sure fire way is use a volt meter. It be about 24v AC. As said above it could be an open ground wire. But check at the controller/timer for voltage first. If no voltage then a bad timer or plug in module.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks