3" Tub drain replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

loop1

Reaction score
My bathtub's "drain spud" (the flanged outlet through which the water leaves the tub) is brass, ugly, and we must use a rubber stopper in it as any "mechanical stopper" is long gone from the overflow pipe. I figured I could just remove this "spud" and replace it with a chromed pop-up fitting, or if necessary replace the whole outlet/overflow assembly with a new one in chrome (to match the other chrome bath fittings). The diameter of the flanged part of the spud is THREE inches, and no pop up or complete assembly I can find anywhere has a flange as big as 3 inches. (Well, my local plumbing supplier found a Kohler chromed complete assembly, but I cannot pay the $300 price tag.) I must have one with a full 3 inch flange diameter because the porcelain under the flange is cracked or missing and a smaller flange will show these imperfections. I have spent hours on Google looking for a replacement in chrome with a 3 inch diameter flange, with no luck. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

afrancis

Reaction score
ANy luck?

Hi Loop1

Have you had any luck finding a 3" replacement flange? I would like to find 2 for my home as the smaller ones tend to have a space around their outter edge that holds water. My two tubs are from the late 40's and late 50's but need the 3" American Standard drain.

Appreciate any clues to your success.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In both cases, the 3" strainer will NOT be generic, so even if you find a new one, it would probably NOT have the proper thread, so you may have to buy the entire drain and replace everything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks