3" Sewer Pipe on the Inside of theToilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregj107

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom. I went to a big box retail store to buy a toilet flange to fit my 3" sewer line. The only one I could find is a size that would allow the pipe to be glued to the inside of the flange. Is this ok to do and meet the UPC code? Wouldn't the solids possibly get stuck on the edge of the pipe in side the flange?

Thank you, Greg

Reach4

Reaction score
Should be OK, but it seems unlikely that they did not have closet flanges that fit outside of a 3 inch also.

The glue ones are commonly called 4 x 3 closet flanges, because they can glue inside of a 4 inch pipe or outside of a 3 inch pipe. Those are probably the most common size of closet flange. Some have the preferred stainless steel ring rather than molded plastic. examples:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-3-to-4-in-PVC-Flange-W-Cap-SS-Ring/1000755998
Oatey 3 to 4 in. ABS Flange W/Cap SS Ring in the Toilet Flanges department at Lowes.com

There are also various outside 3 inch compression flanges that don't get glued, but those probably were not stocked regularly. They have the advantage that they have easy do-overs. They would need more outside clearance. Examples:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/JONES-S...-Closet-Flange-with-Test-Cap-C40503/313740737
https://www.homedepot.com/p/JONES-S...-in-Cast-Iron-Closet-Flange-C40-320/100168417

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Greg, gluing it to inside of flange is the preferred standard method. Maybe your stating wrong the flange on inside of pipe would be smaller. but either is fine no sweat

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
The outlet hole on the bottom of your toilet is even smaller than that. If it can make it through the toilet, it will make it through this flange just fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
Greg, gluing it to inside of flange is the prefered standard method. Maybe your stating wrong the flange on inside of pipe would be smaller. but either is fine no sweat

Correction: I had been confused, thinking that Greg was asking about an inside flange, and instead he was asking about an outside flange, which is indeed the standard way.

Last edited:

Gregj107

Reaction score
I am moving a toilet from one side of the bathroom to the other. The existing toilet's 3" pipe was glued into the flange. Didn't know if that was ok to do. Everyone, thankyou for responding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks