3 phase to 240

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends...what are the actual supply's voltages? 3-phase tends to be with the phases 120-degrees out of phase, so if the WH doesn't have any electronics in it, it would depend on what voltage you actually develop between the two phases you choose. A heating element just cares about the voltage between the two ends. If that's matched to the supply, doesn't matter.

In a really large situation, that unbalanced load on the supply transformer might be an issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
Was that 208 three phase?
Is it ok to use 3 phase to a standard 240 hotwater tank and cap the unused wire?
I presume 208. The Franklin AIM manual specifies to change out the start relay in their 3-wire pump boxes. I did not see that they say what to do for a 2-wire pump.

https://faradynemotors.com/faradyne-products/control-boxes says the same... special relay available.

Oops.. I was somehow thinking well pump.

They sell WH elements intended for 208 if you want faster heating.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Assuming the voltage is 208 volts between any two phases, the water heater will receive 208 volts so the heating elements output will be roughly 13% lower and so the water will heat slower compared to when 240 volts is supplied.

As you will be using only 2-phases of 3, the remaining wire will need to be capped.

With 3-phase, best if power usage is as equal (balanced) as possible across all 3-phases. Perhaps the phase that remains unused for water heating, can supply another high consumption heating device somewhere else in the home?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you run a resistive heating element designed for 240V at only 208V, the current will also be 208/240 as much as designed, so the heat output will be (208/240)^2 = 75% of the design level.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks