3 inch sewer main???

Users who are viewing this thread

misterg

Reaction score
We are doing a major remodel (basically a rebuild) on our house. We currently have an envelope of just the foundation walls; the basement slab is gone.

When the project is done, we will have 4 finished bathrooms and 1 basement bathroom rough-in, so 5 bathrooms someday. Additionally, there will be a standard kitchen (one sink plus dishwasher) and laundry (wash machine and utility sink). If we finish the basement, we will have about 3800 finished square feet and 5 bedrooms.

Today the plumbing contractor came out to place the portion of the sewer system that is beneath the slab, and he used a 3 inch main line which he tied into the existing 4" sewer lateral outside (goes to the septic tank). Every house I've ever owned, from 1500 sq feet with 3 bathrooms to 2500 square feet with 4 bathrooms, has had a 4 inch sewer main.

The plumber said that it is allowed by code (We're on the 2006 IRC and 2006 IPC). I did a quick check and as best as I can tell he is right, based on the number of fixtures that we have.

So, a few questions:
1) Is this really allowed by code?

2) Does this increase the potential for problems down the road, even if allowed by code?

If I'd known in advance, I would have spec'd a 4" sewer main even if not required. At this point, it would probably cost me quite a bit to change, but it's not too late until the slab is poured. Is this simply a case where current research has shown that the old way (4" for a typical house) was overdesigned?

Thanks,

Jeff

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I would've wanted a 4". However, looking at Florida Code which closely follows 2009 IPC, I figured you would be at around 35-36 DFU's (as a building drain). a 3" pipe can carry 36 DFU's at 1/8" per foot. I learned on the 94 Florida code which said that any more than 2 water closets called for a 4" line and I still design that way.

In all reality, not all the fixtures in your house will be used at one time so you should'nt have anything to worry about.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
YOU WILL BE OK for about 40 years

It will work fine.... if their is 4 inch stubbed into the slab
that he has tied into with the 3 inch , basically that makes it all the better...

you probably wont ever know the difference and the
3 inch line will actually stay more scoured out over a 4 inch
one....

as long as their is a place to clean out the system,
I would not sweat about it

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

Here, regardless of the fixture load, once you have more than 3 toilets, the rest have connect to a 4" line. And the third toilet has to be at least 15' from the other two when you use a three inch line.

misterg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...

3 inches it will be... too late to change now. We will have new low-flow (1.6 GPF) toilets.

Jeff

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks