3 Inch Pipe Through Top Plate of Shear Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Gogaston

Reaction score
Howdy Ya'll,

Long time reader first time poster. I've typically found very concise answers to all of my DIY plumbing issues on here but this one feels a bit less cut and dry. I've built an addition on the back of my house and am about to start the plumbing. Can I run a 3 inch waste pipe through the top plate of a 2x6 framed shear wall. What I've read so far is that if I notch out more than 50% of the top pate depth that i must reinforce the top plate with a 16 gauge metal tie. Am I missing something there? Does this mean i can Leave 1/4 of 2x6 remaining, add the prescribed metal strap and bob's your uncle, job done?

My plan is to run the 3 inch toilet drain, 2 inch laundry room drain, 2 inch shower drain and 1 1/2 inch tub drain down this wall from the 2nd floor to the basement and have them connect to a 4 inch horizontal run over to the 4 inch line running to the street.

I appreciate the insight.

Thanks,
-George

figure-r602-6-1.jpg

Exception: Where the entire side of the wall with the notch or cut is covered by wood structural panel sheathing.

Gogaston

Reaction score
Howdy Ya'll,

Long time reader first time poster. I've typically found very concise answers to all of my DIY plumbing issues on here but this one feels a bit less cut and dry. I've built an addition on the back of my house and am about to start the plumbing. Can I run a 3 inch waste pipe through the top plate of a 2x6 framed shear wall. What I've read so far is that if I notch out more than 50% of the top pate depth that i must reinforce the top plate with a 16 gauge metal tie. Am I missing something there? Does this mean i can Leave 1/4 of 2x6 remaining, add the prescribed metal strap and bob's your uncle, job done?

My plan is to run the 3 inch toilet drain, 2 inch laundry room drain, 2 inch shower drain and 1 1/2 inch tub drain down this wall from the 2nd floor to the basement and have them connect to a 4 inch horizontal run over to the 4 inch line running to the street.

I appreciate the insight.

Thanks,
-George

View attachment 88008

Exception: Where the entire side of the wall with the notch or cut is covered by wood structural panel sheathing.

I think I found my answer. You should follow the guidelines of 5/8 of an inch remaining.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I was doing a lot of residential new construction, I can't tell you how many times I installed 3" in 2x4 walls.
It meant leaving nothing for the top plate. We nail plated, but that was it. Looking at he code I posted, that now makes me old school and behind the times on that.

15243-sun-design-15.jpg

Terry Love working on connection sewer lines, 1983

Gogaston

Reaction score
When I was doing a lot of residential new construction, I can't tell you how many times I installed 3" in 2x4 walls.
It meant leaving nothing for the top plate. We nail plated, but that was it.

Were these 2x4 exterior walls? Thanks for the response.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Were these 2x4 exterior walls? Thanks for the response.
I believe they were all interior walls, but can't remember for sure. Codes keep being tweaked.
When I was building homes in the 80's, I was doing 2x6 exterior walls when everyone else was doing 2x4 in Seattle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks