3” Copper drain leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott G

Reaction score
I have a leak in the ceiling.. I found a hole in the the bottom of a 3” horizontal copper drain line. I was thinking of splicing in a piece of pvc but the copper is pretty thin going back towards the fitting hub.

I was wondering if possibly I could get a rubber fitting that is designed for CI (or a fitting designed for this if such a fitting exists) that would fit over the hub in order to make the splice ? I’m sure this prob isn’t how this is designed to work and I’m not sure how the sizes match up but it’s an idea, I’m open to suggestions. Thank you,

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I suggest you get a digital caliper, and determine the OD of what you want to connect to on each end.

Scott G

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. I suggest you get a digital caliper, and determine the OD of what you want to connect to on each end.
I guess that’s not a bad suggestion but I think I already know that the copper pipe od measures -3.125 and that there are rubber type couplers designed to fit it. I don’t know the Id of the rubber couplers available

What I’m not sure of is whether there is a rubber type coupler designed for or that will work over a 3” copper fitting hub. I’m assuming that there is a little room for clearance to be able to insert a copper pipe in a copper fitting and that along with the fitting wall thickness it would be s bit over 3.25” which is getting pretty close to the 3.30” od of 3” CI so that’s why I thought such an “animal” may be an option.

I would use 3” pvc to splice in so if I could go over the copper hub which I believe to be slightly over 3.25” and over 3” pvc at 3,5” od that would be great. Possibly a rubber fitting designed for 3” CI to 3” pvc would work? This is theoretical to me as I’ve never tried it and it hinges on my numbers and assumptions being correct.

I’m sure I’m not the first person with this problem or idea.. Further comments are welcome. Ty

Scott G

Reaction score
Photo added
I guess that’s not a bad suggestion but I think I already know that the copper pipe od measures -3.125 and that there are rubber type couplers designed to fit it. I don’t know the Id of the rubber couplers available

What I’m not sure of is whether there is a rubber type coupler designed for or that will work over a 3” copper fitting hub. I’m assuming that there is a little room for clearance to be able to insert a copper pipe in a copper fitting and that along with the fitting wall thickness it would be s bit over 3.25” which is getting pretty close to the 3.30” od of 3” CI so that’s why I thought such an “animal” may be an option.

I would use 3” pvc to splice in so if I could go over the copper hub which I believe to be slightly over 3.25” and over 3” pvc at 3,5” od that would be great. Possibly a rubber fitting designed for 3” CI to 3” pvc would work? This is theoretical to me as I’ve never tried it and it hinges on my numbers and assumptions being correct.

I’m sure I’m not the first person with this problem or idea.. Further comments are welcome. Ty
added photo
1661135120264.jpeg

Attachments

• 1661135075559.jpeg
    1661135075559.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 47

Scott G

Reaction score
Yes - I am aware of hub being marginally larger to accept pipe and fitting wall thickness additionally increases the od of the hub. That’s how I arrived at my numbers. Thx for the resource/ reference link.

If anyone has attempted this before I’d like to hear what coupler/fitting was used…

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where does the elbow go? Is that a closet flange with its 2or1.5" vent or a stack from upstairs? If its a closet flange, I would suggest replacing from that flange, the wye and the defect in one shot.

Scott G

Reaction score
Ended up just splicing in pvc wiith shielded rubber coupler over hub. Wasn’t really a big deal. Thx for the advice…

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks