3 Comparment Sink, Mop Sink and pluming it

Users who are viewing this thread

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to know if this will pass code or not? I am located in Texas and the sinks are in a commercial kitchen.

I have a three compartment sink that runs to a P-Trap then to a T which drains to the septic system. Connected to the same T is a mop sink that also has a P-Trap. I was told by a friend this cannot be hard pipe and it need to drain to a floor drain to prevent back flow. If this is true can I just install a back flow preventer and leave it as is?

Please see attached picture.

Thanks,
Troy

Attachments

• DSCF1350.jpg
    DSCF1350.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 22,614

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Unless Texas code is more lenient than the rest of the country, this would never pass code.

It would not even pass code with a backflow preventer. There are possibilities of contaminating the 3 compartment sinks with any mop sink sludge/chemicals/ cleaners , etc,,,,,,,,,

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
In short no.The three compartment sink needs to go into a indirect waste. The reason being if the drain line backs up it will contaminate any thing that happens to be in the sinks at that time. I also don't see a hand wash sink. I suggest you get a local plumber.

John

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Now if it is connected to a separate pipe (Not the same one as the mop sink) that goes to a gray water system separate from the septic is this allowed? Do back flow preventers just not work well enough?

Hand sink is off to the left out of sight and plumbed to a separate drain. I also have a floor drain, but it is in the center of the room.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know Texas laws, but in many places you cannot DIY plumbing or electrical in a commercial/public establishment such as a restaurant or beauty salon. It must be done under permit by a licensed plumber or electrician and pass the local codes. I'd suggest you get a licensed plumber on this and not waste your time and money continuing to do work that will not meet code and have to be torn out and redone. Sometimes the best advice we can give a DIYer is to get professional help...not everything is a DIY project.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need professional help...running traps are not allowed and all the other reasons mentioned...it will never pass inspection...there are other things wrong...

Last edited:

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I have my inspector coming out to talk with me about it and then I will decide what to do next. I can always cut the slap and plumb in a small sink basin for the 3 compartment sink to drain into. Not a real big deal. I of course would prefer not to cut up the slab, but if that is what we need to do then so be it. I have a 4†pipe running directly under the middle of the sink which is connected to the floor drain. I can T in a sink basin with P-Trap and life will be good.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The sink will have to be vented and connected to the sanatary system...the 3 compartment is seperated by way of an air gap as mentioned above...talk to the inspector....

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Sink already is vented. I have that in the wall. If I add the small sink masin in the slab with the sink draining into it via air gap I should be fine.....Or....Are you saying this is still a no go?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks