3" ABS to 4" cast iron- will I regret how I did this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I just finished repairing a joint in the sewer line of my house where someone had cut the 4" CI at the spigot, leaving it flush in the old oakum joint, and then just shoved a 3" abs pipe into it with a bit of caulk. It was leaking, of course. I found a donut that fits snugly into the ID of the cast iron stub, cleaned it, and it took chamfering the abs, lubing it, and beating it with a 3lb hammer to insert the pipe, so it's not coming out. Was this a decent solution or should I have cleaned out the oakum and stub of pipe? It doesn't leak, and I didn't want to disturb the wye. The leftover white goo in the picture is lube. I tossed some fresh dry soil in there to fill in the erosion below and indicating any fresh leaks.
IMG_20170904_145718.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "donut" should have been shaped to conform to the inside of the hub, but the inside of the pipe is straight. It is NOT a proper usage of the donut, but you have have created enough compression so that it was forced to seal to the inside of the pipe. No way to tell though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks