3/8" supply line to house, 1/2" manifold for homeruns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jebusfreek666

Reaction score
I am in the process of renovating and updating my entire house. Currently, I am looking into redoing the entire water supply runs as there are no outside water bibs, and I am adding a bathroom and moving around the kitchen. Due to these changes, I would like to switch to a manifold system. The issue I am researching now is the subject of this post. My house is about 120 years old. The supply line in the basement from the city appears to be 3/8". The best manifolds that I see that have the number of outlets I need, plus a couple for expansion if needed, are all 1/2 inch in/out. Can I use these manifolds? I realize I can use an adapter to make the inlet on the cold side 3/8", but doesn't that completely negate the benefits of using the 1/2" outlets and PEX? I also realize I can still do 1/2" from the water heater to the manifold. But that water heater will still be fed originally from the 3/8" cold supply line.

Basically, am I okay with this setup or should I be looking into getting 1/2" supply line to the house? It will be a 2 bath when I am done, one with both tub and multi-head shower.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I realize I can use an adapter to make the inlet on the cold side 3/8", but doesn't that completely negate the benefits of using the 1/2" outlets and PEX? I also realize I can still do 1/2" from the water heater to the manifold. But that water heater will still be fed originally from the 3/8" cold supply line.
Not totally negated, but largely negated. I would pipe the inside as if you are going to get that supply line replaced in the future. While piping, you might add a boiler drain valve early in the path where you could mount a garden hose thread pressure gauge to see just how much drop you are facing on the incoming water with flow.

Basically, am I okay with this setup or should I be looking into getting 1/2" supply line to the house? It will be a 2 bath when I am done, one with both tub and multi-head shower.

If you are going to get the supply line to the house replaced, I would go at least to 3/4. Most would run 1 inch.

I never heard of a 3/8 supply line to a house.

Bruce Garrison

Reaction score
3/8" is really small. I think you need to double-check what your supply line size is. I have a 2" copper pipe for my whole building that branches to a 3/4" for my unit. The PEX manifolds I use are 3/4" that branch to 1/2" for each fixture.

Last edited:

Bruce Garrison

Reaction score
BTW if you are using PEX supply lines, don't make the mistake I did and use the standard PEX-B compression fittings that they sell at the big box stores. The flow is atrocious. Special order or go to a supply house and get PEX-A and use expansion fittings. The difference is more than noticeable. I am having to replace all this garbage I bough from HD because once I turned it on the shower felt as if someone was spitting on me the pressure was so bad. The previous plumbers had wisely used Rehau PEX-A expansion fittings and all was well. Then I remodel and use PEX-B for the additions and it is terrible. If you doubt me, look at page 6 of this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
120-years ago, who knows what was standard...I think that they were just glad to have running water that they didn't have to carry from the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks