3/4" x 5/8" SharkBite Reducing Coupling - Looking for advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Michelle Berry

Reaction score
We have a Buderus boiler system in our home and recently one of the couplings that connects a pex line to a copper line went bad. our company which installed and services the unit said the company that sold these went out of business but thankfully they were able to find one last coupling in their warehouse. Given that we have a few of these connections in our home I wanted to be proactive and see if I could find a few online somewhere before they all disappear.

They said this
3/4" x 5/8" SharkBite Reducing Coupling would work but also noted that it is only rated to 200 degrees and our system gets awfully close to that.

can anyone recommend a coupling that matches this in size but is rated for a higher temp so i can purchase a few to have just in case?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/4 inch x 5/8 I would think be rare to find ? sure its not 7/8 x 5/8 3/4 copper x 1/2 copper ?

Reach4

Reaction score
To avoid ambiguity, I suggest that you measure the OD of the two pipes involved with a digital caliper. I like the cheap stainless steel ones with resolution of 0.001 inch.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was thinking a brass compression coupling 7/8 x 5/8 would be a size that might be available but I'm thinking 3/4 x 5/8 like difficult to find, if you found a sharkbite and it needs done go for it, if its open and easy to get to. If its within specs of temperature and pressure rating you should be safe but I'm not crazy about shark bites , doesn't mean I don't use them on special occasions

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
To avoid ambiguity, I suggest that you measure the OD of the two pipes involved with a digital caliper. I like the cheap stainless steel ones with resolution of 0.001 inch.
Noticed your big on digital calipers ha ha me too come from a machinist background but had all tools stolen many years ago.
I did purchase a 6 inch digital for quite cheap I'm a little leery but been very pleased with it use it frequently ! bought a second to give to my brother he could really use it but I know he doesn't have it very handy tool to have!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/4 copper is 7/8 "OD just making sure you understand that. there is 3/4 inch OD refrigeration tube as well both are copper.

Fitter30

Reaction score
I would take a very close look at the edpm rubber o ring looking for cracking and what failed on it. Id be looking for a different type of fitting. Your running at the top of the temp range.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The OD of 1/2" PEX is 5/8", and the OD of 3/4" copper is 7/8". A 5/8" ID is a strange size.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The OD of 1/2" PEX is 5/8", and the OD of 3/4" copper is 7/8". A 5/8" ID is a strange size.
Gotta understand there is 5/8 inch PEX thats .750 OD all over I see online but I run so little PEX I don't know what its for I'm guessing radiant heat What the heck this lady wants to do nobody knows.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks