3/4" vs 1/2" line question

Users who are viewing this thread

cherylbg

Reaction score
Hello,
We are doing a master bathroom renovation, and I am not sure if I should run a new 3/4" line from our hot water tank to the bathroom to get improved water flow / pressure.

Our line in from the street is 3/4", and then from our water tank, we branch out with 1/2" lines throughout the house.

Our water press is about 60psi on the main floor, this bathroom is upstairs by one level.

I want a good strong shower, that will easily rinse out long hair.

Should I run new 3/4" PEX tubing for the hot and cold water from our hot water tank to the upstairs bathroom, or is it a waste of time and money to do so, since our water from the street comes in on only one 3/4" line?

Thanks for the help.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pressure will remain the same. You will get more volume from the 3/4", but it's rather academic because your shower head will only deliver so much. You will waste a great deal of water waiting for the cold water to purge from the 3/4" line. In my opinion, you would be wasting your time and money.

cherylbg

Reaction score
Thank you, Gary!!

Thank you, Gary, for your fast, helpful reply.

I have been asking tons of people what to do about this, and noone could tell me if it would make a difference or not.

I won't bother to go with a new 3/4" line.

All the best,
Cheryl

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The showerhead is rated by law to deliver 2.5 GPM flow. This is easily supplied by 1/2". However, laws have loopholes and the loophole is the showerhead. Many people are now installing multiple head systems that have many heads each delivering 2.5GPM these would need 3/4' supply lines. As long as you have a regular 1 head shower and not a carwash your 1/2" will be fine.

cherylbg

Reaction score
Thank you, Redwood

You guys have convinced me, and thanks for the advice - I am always happy to save $$. This renovation is going to cost a fortune.

Yours truly,
Cheryl

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remodeling a bathroom is an expensive undertaking, probably worse than a kitchen. There are so many things that a DIYer can do wrong that can really give headaches for years to come. I'd venture to guess that there are more bathroom questions on this forum than any other single topic, and unfortunately, many times it's after the mistakes are made and covered up that the questions come up. Happily, you're asking before you go wrong.:)

pcola

Reaction score
Hello,
We are doing a master bathroom renovation, and I am not sure if I should run a new 3/4" line from our hot water tank to the bathroom to get improved water flow / pressure.

Our line in from the street is 3/4", and then from our water tank, we branch out with 1/2" lines throughout the house.

Our water press is about 60psi on the main floor, this bathroom is upstairs by one level.

I want a good strong shower, that will easily rinse out long hair.

Should I run new 3/4" PEX tubing for the hot and cold water from our hot water tank to the upstairs bathroom, or is it a waste of time and money to do so, since our water from the street comes in on only one 3/4" line?

Thanks for the help.
Go with the 1/2 line But you should use cvpvc from your hot water heater for your Hot water line which you can get at any lowes or Home Depot. That will pass any Inspection in any state. Also get the cvpvc Glue pex fittings have to to be crimped and real pain.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
The showerhead is rated by law to deliver 2.5 GPM flow. This is easily supplied by 1/2". However, laws have loopholes and the loophole is the showerhead. Many people are now installing multiple head systems that have many heads each delivering 2.5GPM these would need 3/4' supply lines. As long as you have a regular 1 head shower and not a carwash your 1/2" will be fine.

My showerhead, a rainfall type, had a little flow restricter doohockey inside of it where it connected that I just popped out. Presto! Instantly more water. :)

Jason

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/2" CPVC has a smaller inside diameter than copper. Personally, unless there are minerals in your water that are corrosive to copper, I would never use plastic pipe for a water supply line. Pex is a relatively new product and the jury is still out on how well it will hold up over time, but it does have wide support for repiping.

Construct30

Reaction score
1/2" CPVC has a smaller inside diameter than copper. Personally, unless there are minerals in your water that are corrosive to copper, I would never use plastic pipe for a water supply line. Pex is a relatively new product and the jury is still out on how well it will hold up over time, but it does have wide support for repiping.

This is the reason to be a bit careful when sizing plastic pipes. check the flow rate for the faucets and size according to the chart on the plastic pipe site. Most single baths with standard faucets are OK with 1/2" pex or cpvc, but not many stick with standard baths any more. Do you use the bathroom for multitasking is the second question or is it a one person at a time deal?

I agree in most water conditions with the copper, then PEX second the CPVC if wirsbo pex is out because of cost. Don't use PEX with brass or copper fittings if the water situation harms regular copper pipe.

Last edited:

cherylbg

Reaction score
thinking of adding a rain shower tile

In response to the last follow-up (sorry for the delay - eye surgery had me out of commission for a couple of weeks) - our MB is a two-person place. In general, we have a sink going while someone else is in the shower. And I am thinking of adding a rain shower tile to the planned hand held shower head for the shower, just don't know if that will mean we get poor water flow from each of the faucets...

Any ideas?

We have decided to go with the Grohe Therm 3000, but of course this decision was made before we thought of potentially adding the Kohler rain shower tile (22 nozzle or 54 nozzle variety - not sure yet).

Cheryl

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks