3/4" vs. 1/2" copper to tub...

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbjz

Reaction score
Pipe size for tub fill question... I have 80 psi throughout house with 3/4" pex supply line to Delta diverter/valve which has all 1/2" connections. 3-way valve - I'm running 1/2 pex to both shower heads. There is no mix/blend feature, so one position is for tub.

A plumber suggested I run 3/4" from valve to tub for maximum flow/volume. He said volume is improved with 3/4" vs. keeping 1/2" copper on valve outlet. So my question is, would the tub spout flow be increased running 3/4" copper downstream of a 1/2" valve? I wonder if there would be any difference downstream if the 1/2 valve is the bottleneck. Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
depends on length of the 1/2 inch, if its coming off a 3/4 or bigger line a few feet away no big deal either way. if you run 3/4 it takes longer wait for hot water . The 80 psi you have today might not always be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks