2nd Floor Washing Machine Puts Water Into 3rd Floor Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello,
I am wondering what are the most common causes of something like this before I start to tear things apart to troubleshoot. When the second floor washing machine is running it forces water into the third floor sink drain into the sink.

Thanks,
Molo

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, the only thing I can see that would cause that is that the drain the washing machine goes into is plugged, partially. The pump in the machine is strong enough to send water up to the third floor. I am surprised that it does not overflow the drain on the second floor........is the washing machine connected to an open fitting, or is it "sealed" into a pipe??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote: The washing machine goes into an open drain and is not sealed.

Then it is IMPOSSIBLE for it to develop ANY pressure, much less what would be needed to force the water UP 10 feet or so to the third floor. Your analysis is faulty.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure can very definitely be developed in drain pipes if the venting is not up to snuff. Probably the sink upstairs does not have adequate venting, so the trap contents are being
forced into the sink by the pressure from the washer drainage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks