2nd floor powder room directly over exist. basement full bath

Users who are viewing this thread

baltimorecaesar

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing a 2nd floor powder room directly over an existing full bath in my basement which I am also in the process of a gut/remodel as well. The powder room will take the place of an existing closet, so I need to run all new plumbing to service the toilet and sink. I sketched up a diagram of the waste-vent system in CAD to help illustrate what I'm trying to run. All horizontal drains & vents will be sloped at least 1/4" per. foot.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance
mPR-3D-ISO - Copy.jpg
mPR-3D-RT-ISO - Copy.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No vent can be less than 45º when below 42" above the floor. No inspector will allow a loop vent on that sink. You must tie a proper vent into the vent-to-roof.

Basically, there is NOTHING in your diagram which will pass code.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep and furthermore that waste line needs to go all the way to the basement and tie in to the lateral there if the "stack" is the vent for the downstairs fixtures.

baltimorecaesar

Reaction score
The lav is not vented

The problem is that the wall that the sink is against is an exterior load bearing wall, so I wanted to avoid boring through the wall studs to get the sink vent to the existing vent stack. The only other solution I could come up with, would be to run the sink vent straight up the wall, go through the top plate, tear out the ceiling and T into the vent stack between the 2nd story ceiling and the 3rd story floor (See revised drawings).

mPR-3D-ISO.jpg
mPR-3D-RT-ISO.jpg

Is this better?

And thanks for the helpful advice all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks