2nd Floor Laundry Room -- floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ramias

Reaction score
Doing a remodel and new laundry room will share a wall with toilet/shower.

Are floor drains required for 2nd floor laundry rooms? If so can I use one of those one-way flaps instead of a trap for the emergency floor drain?

I also plan to have either a FloodStop or a Watts Intelliflow that can shut off water supply of a leak is detected -- if I have one of these should that be sufficient? (I also already have a whole-home shutoff controlled via my home automation system with Zwave - but for this I'd prefer a standalone independent system).

Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need a floor drain unless it's required locally. You'd need to contact the local building department to ask them, my guess is that it's not required.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never heard of a floor drain required in a house. I can tell you I haven't done a lot of new construction in some time but 20 years ago we were putting drain pans in every second floor laundry room at the washer . it was standard on most (if not all) major builders in So CA not sure if code required or not

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks