2nd floor laundry room emergency drain. Do I need to prep the floor like a tiled shower floor with Kerdi or Schluter?

Users who are viewing this thread

DragonBallz

Reaction score
I am remodeling the house, it is currently gutted. I want to move the laundry room to the 2nd floor. I want an emergency floor drain just in case.

Should the floor be prepped with Schluter or Kerdi or whatever membrane to make it waterproof? Or since it's only for emergencies, a regular tiled floor will be okay?

A plumber will be doing the plumbing. Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Laundry rooms aren't usually waterproofed. The drain will likely never be used. If you were planning on draining something into it then I would think about it, but no it'd be a waste of money. Waterproofing is mostly for vapor and long soaking activity.

DragonBallz

Reaction score
Laundry rooms aren't usually waterproofed. The drain will likely never be used. If you were planning on draining something into it then I would think about it, but no it'd be a waste of money. Waterproofing is mostly for vapor and long soaking activity.
At a minimum, do you think I should paint on some of that pink waterproofing liquid stuff?

I dont plan on draining anything. Just for emergencies. It’s going to have to be tied in to regular plumbing though. So it will have a trap with a trickle thingy.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
At a minimum, do you think I should paint on some of that pink waterproofing liquid stuff?

I dont plan on draining anything. Just for emergencies. It’s going to have to be tied in to regular plumbing though. So it will have a trap with a trickle thingy.
If it makes you feel better do it. It won't hurt anything.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We normally install pans with a drain for a clothes washer with a Floodstop system that will detect the leak and stop flow. Mustee makes a pan with a removeable front dam. The center of the pan has a knockout that can accommodate a typical shower clamping shower drain body.

98​

UPC: 6 71031 00299 0

DURAPAN

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks