2nd floor Jack & Jill toliets

Users who are viewing this thread

thekingofspain

Reaction score
I am remodeling Jack’s side of a 1978 house with Jack n Jill second floor bathrooms. The floor in Jack’s bathroom slopes 1.5 inches over 6 feet that needs to be leveled. Surprising Jill’s floor is level, but I think Jack’s floor has been off since day 1, since the 70’s tiles are level and the bathtub is not. But before the leveling fun, this would be the time to address the Jack n Jill toilets currently plumbed with a double sanitary fitting. Currently Jills toilet likes to flow into Jacks vs the dump pipe. Obviously, Jack’s toilet is the path of least resistance, straight vs a 90 degree turn and probably with some extra vertical drop to boot than the dump pipe short term. The is very little water damage on Jack's side due to the slope, as standing water exits though a heating vent and then exits out a light fixture over the kitchen table on the first floor.

From reading over this forum the double sanitary should be replaced with a double wye fixture. Looking at 3” double wye fixtures, I cannot find any with an extra vertical intake like the existing double sanitary fixture has. This brings me to question 1, what to do about the 2” vertical connection?

Question #2: Assuming that the double wye is the still the way to go, what is the best way to connect the toilets to it: How to best to perform the 90 degree horizonal transition from the dump pipe and if any vertical transition should be added (at least for Jack’s toilet).

Question #3, logistics: Note that the floor in Jack’s bathroom can be opened, but not Jill’s. Is it possible to replumb both toilets this way, can a new pipe section be snaked though the existing joist holes on Jills side, etc.?

Space is tight; to the right of the main 3” vent pipe, Jack’s bathtub immediately comes into play.

Notes on the diagrams, nothing is drawn to scale. The pipe diameters and exposed pipe lengths are correct. I drew all the fittings and their dimensions are whatever looked right visually.

From left to right:

Jill: Tub Toilet Sink
Jack: Sink Toilet Tub

Attachments

• ExistingJJ.png
    ExistingJJ.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 83
  • ProposedJJ.png
    ProposedJJ.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 88

thekingofspain

Reaction score
This "project" needs to be started and completed over a weekend, since these are only two bathrooms in the house that have showers.

thekingofspain

Reaction score
I bought the supplies for the vented double sanitary to wye replacement and ran into an issue, the new setup too long.

vented double sanitary T + pipe < sanitary T (vent) + double wye (butted)

Both toilets are perpendicular to main waste pipe currently, but with the new configuration the double wye with street 45s is around 1" past the current toilet perpendicular inlet to the waste pipe. What is the way to plumb this? A series or 22.5 degree elbows to recover the extra 1" while at the same time replacing the 90 degree elbow connected to the flange functionality?

Any recommendations on how to handle the joists?

The other thing is the 2 inch vertical vent pipe connecting to revert must be shifted as well by a few inches as well. However, where it needs to be moved to is currently occupied by the water supply lines. More work ☹

All changes have to be within the two wall cavities as the surrounding cavities are all covered with tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks