2500gal Storage tank to house what pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wonder Valley

Reaction score
I have a 2500gal storage thank that I have filled by water truck (we are out in the Mohave Desert and have no well) that sits above ground.

My question is about pump to pressurize the house water.

There is a hole in the ground about 8ft deep that the pump sits in and the house inlet pipe is located.

There was some type of pump and tank but they were removed before we bought the house.

I am looking at pumps ( shallow well jet pumps) with pressure tanks but the seem to all be used with a well.

Not sure if that are what I need.

Thanks.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 2500gal storage thank that I have filled by water truck (we are out in the Mohave Desert and have no well) that sits above ground.

My question is about pump to pressurize the house water.

There is a hole in the ground about 8ft deep that the pump sits in and the house inlet pipe is located.

There was some type of pump and tank but they were removed before we bought the house.

I am looking at pumps ( shallow well jet pumps) with pressure tanks but the seem to all be used with a well.

Not sure if that are what I need.

Thanks.

A shallow well jet with a pressure tank will work just fine. You can also look at the term 'booster pump' If you're doing it yourself there is a market for booster pump systems sold as a package with a pump and tank.

It's a bigger project but have you considered an in ground tank? Having your 'cold' water supply from a storage tank sitting out in the desert sun sounds rather unappealing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A shallow well jet with a pressure tank will work just fine. You can also look at the term 'booster pump' If you're doing it yourself there is a market for booster pump systems sold as a package with a pump and tank.

It's a bigger project but have you considered an in ground tank? Having your 'cold' water supply from a storage tank sitting out in the desert sun sounds rather unappealing.

That is just one good reason to use a CSV and a 4.5 gallon size tank instead of a large pressure tank. The 4.5 gallon size pressure tank only holds 1 gallon of water, which is all you need when using a CSV, and isn't much water left sitting in a hot rubber bag. However, even the water in a storage tank will get hot and start growing stuff in it. I would at least put the tank is a building for the shade and add a little chlorine when needed.

If you bury the storage tank the water will stay cooler and fresher. You can also use a submersible pump in the tank, which would be best if the tank is buried and has some benefits over the jet pump even if the storage tank is above ground.

Got to be careful when looking a booster pumps. Some are straight centrifugal (no jet) and won't build enough pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks