2500 gal Storage Tank installation

Users who are viewing this thread

rvcolt

Reaction score
I am installing a 2500 gal backup storage tank to my well. Would it be a good idea to plumb and wire it so that I can run either one of three options.
1. The well to house. In case of problem with the tank.
2. The well through the tank to house.
3. The tank alone to house. In case of well problems.
Also which pump should I use? I think I need to use a float valve in the tank along with a timer because my well only produces about 4 gpm and I don't want to pull the water level down too much. I have had one cave in already but was able to pull the pump up and take out a 30ft section of pipe.
I would appreciate any advice.
Jerry

Nate R

Reaction score
You could have a bypass system for the tank. That will allow you to use the tank or reroute it to a pressure tank for the house. I like using mercury control floats. You can adjust them to control when you want the pump to come on. I would reccommend a lower mercury control float to kill the repressurization pump if no water is available. What color is the tank? I reccommend a black tank.

I'm assuming he's burying it if he's had one cave in already. So I'm thinking color doesn't matter?

rvcolt

Reaction score
Sorry, my bad. A tank did not collapse the wall of my well fell in on top of the pump. I was able to pull the pump up past it. It is black.

rvcolt

Reaction score
The well is working. I am putting the tank in for back up just in case I have anymore problems with the well.

rvcolt

Reaction score
Yes, a bypass system is what I had in mind. I will research the mercury float switch. The tank is black.
Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Casing out the well should be able to be done for not much more, if not less, than this 2500 gal tank, pump, pressure tank, float switches plumbing etc. and wouldn't cause water quality problems that a cistern does. And then the well wouldn't be capable of caving in again as it can now.

Are you planning on how to clean and sanitize the tank? If you have any iron you'll have rust build up from the water line down in the tank and in TX, the heat and water temp is conducive for slime and other growth in the tank. You may have to buy water treatment equipment to treat the water.

rvcolt

Reaction score
I was told that do to the diam. of the well no casing could be done, I would have to drill another. That's why I am doing this.
I already have the tank sitting on a pad. I have a filtration system in place. Don't have a rust problem. I plan on treating it with clorine (sp).

rvcolt

Reaction score
Thank you. That is the thing I need the most help with. I have done electrical work but I am having trouble figuring out how to wire this. Any advice would really be appreicated. A diagrahm is most needed.
Jerry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks