240v circuits and using a white wire as a hot

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
I had an electrician come out to replace my breaker box because the breakers were getting hard to find and making noise. House was built in the 1990's and has a few 240v circuits for the water heater, well pump, and heat pump. Romex wiring throughout. It looks like the existing 240v circuits used the white and black wires as the hots. Unfortunately, the electrician accidentally swapped one of the 240v white wires for a white neutral on a 120v circuit and fried a bunch of expensive components in the house, $2000+ damage.

My question is, whats the standard of practice of making a white wire hot on a 240v circuit? Is it allowed? Does it need to be marked somehow? I thought only red and black wires were supposed to be hots. Do I need to cut my electrician any slack?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When used as a hot lead, white should be marked on both ends with black marker or tape.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Do I need to cut my electrician any slack?
No, not in my opinion. Anyone who has done much electrical work knows that while a redesignated wire is suppose to be marked, but it often is not done. This is especially true with a 240 volt circuit. The use of the white as a hot conductor in a 240 volt circuit is so common it is frequently not marked. There are other clues that an electrician should recognize that indicate a 240 volt circuit.
For you to make such an error would not be uncommon but he is an electrician.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The license electrician should have a business license, it is current and has insurance, damages could be paid by his insurance company. If he is a single man company it may be tough to get his certificate of insurance. If he is part of a large company and works as an employee, then request their insurance information and file a claim. You may have to prove that it was wired wrong and corrected by an electrician. Just your word may not be enough. Trades of all kinds carry insurance just for things like this.

Last edited:

Atomic1

Reaction score
No, not in my opinion. Anyone who has done much electrical work knows that while a redesignated wire is suppose to be marked, but it often is not done. This is especially true with a 240 volt circuit. The use of the white as a hot conductor in a 240 volt circuit is so common it is frequently not marked. There are other clues that an electrician should recognize that indicate a 240 volt circuit.
For you to make such an error would not be uncommon but he is an electrician.

Ha, well the problem was that he apparently didnt permanently mark the hot white conductors when he pulled them out of the circuit breakers when replacing the panel. Looking at the panel box now and they're still not marked, and it was approved by a 3rd party inspector and the building dept. Oh well. His insurance has the claim and it looks like they're going to pay.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The license electrician should have a business license, it is current and has insurance, damages could be paid by his insurance company.
Only some areas have or require "business licenses". In NY many areas do not even require electrical licenses. I have two master electrician licenses and both require proof of insurance. In the areas that do not require licensing no proof of anything is required, even to get an inspection.

If he is a single man company it may be tough to get his certificate of insurance. If he is part of a large company and works as an employee, then request their insurance information and file a claim.
Why??? I am a single man company and I can and will provide insurance information to anyone who requests it, and they do quite often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks