230 volt question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Duke76, Jul 18, 2009.

  1. Duke76

    Duke76 New Member

    Jul 10, 2007
    I have a 230 volt irrigation pump located on a floating dock on a man-made lake subject to Army Corps of Engineers regulations. Power is supplied from the house to a power pole located on the lakeshore. the pump is wired to the peer pole with a breakaway plug. All has been installed by an electrician. As the lake level drops the dock is pushed further out to the point that I have cannot push it out any further without disconnecting the pump.

    Is a 230 volt "extension cord" an option or would it be too dangerous given the voltage involved ? I can't find any on the Internet so that may be a cle but I thought I'd ask.

    Thank you.
  2. Alectrician

    Alectrician DIY Senior Member

    Jun 15, 2007
    A 230V cord wouldn't be any different than a 120V cord. You would likely have to make one by installing the appropriate cord caps.

    The connections on an extension cord would be very vulnerable to moisture/water. They would be laying on the ground I presume.

    You might want to conside putting a new, longer cord on the pump.

    I have no idea what the legal limits on something like that would be.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Depending on the plug and receptacle, a 240 v. room air conditioner extension cord might work.
  5. Duke76

    Duke76 New Member

    Jul 10, 2007
    Thanks for the responses.

    I want to add about 50' of wire. After thinking about some more it is probably best to disconnect the existing wire and put a watertight junction box under the gangway. I can add new wire from the junction box to the pump and have the connection made permanently in the junction box.
  6. Must58GT

    Must58GT New Member

    Jul 19, 2009
    Engineer/Product Manager
    Central Texas
    Irrigation pump on an extension cord?

    Stay away from household/shop extension cords. Use Romex for underground applications or single strand wire and plastic conduit. The wire needs to be rated for the current load (surge/continuous) of the irrigation pump and distance (voltage drop). This website contains a handy reference for wire gauge and load current. And, make sure the circuit is connected to a ground fault circuit breaker in your house. For any outside wiring, especially near water, you don't want to expose yourself or others to an unprotected circuit.
  7. Speedy Petey

    Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

    Jun 16, 2007
    Licensed Electrical Contractor
    NY State, USA
    When you say Romex I assume you mean UF cable.
Similar Threads: volt question
Forum Title Date
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog low voltage light question Aug 13, 2013
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Code question 277 and 24 volts same fixture. Sep 27, 2012
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog high voltage power distribution question Jun 2, 2012
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog voltage question Jul 15, 2009
Electrical Forum discussion & Blog Lights flicker and Voltage Drop Question Dec 16, 2008

Share This Page