20amp-dedicated

Users who are viewing this thread

GregO

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 20amp dedicated duplex outlet originally installed for an infrared sauna. Into that outlet, I now run a laser printer. Trying to come up with a convenient "flip switch" or surge protector to allow both items to be plugged into it simultaneously as currently, the sauna internal breaker will trip when the printer tries to "sync". I never need both running at the same time and can simply unplug one to favor the other, but looking for an effective method or simply switch/plug to conveniently allow both.

Thanks for any insights...
Greg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The sauna may have an internal GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) and that is probably what is tripping. It cannot be an overload since the sauner is essential turned off.

You'll need a double pole double throw switch (https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1286-w), and you will find these in stores, online order or a electrical supply house may have them. You'll need to add another box or change out the existing box to a double gang box. The outlet will need the hot side tab broken off so each plug is controlled individually by the one switch. The switch has three positions. The top is one plug, the middle is off for both outlets, the bottom is the other plug.

What I cannot tell is if the GFCI is tripping on the sauna, it may still trip when switching power since the neutral side is always connected. GFCI trips when is see a difference of 5ma current between the hot and neutral. The strange part is the sauna should not be tripping at all. If you don't understand all this, then stay with unplugging method or run a new circuit for your printer.

GregO

Reaction score
The sauna may have an internal GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) and that is probably what is tripping. It cannot be an overload since the sauner is essential turned off.

You'll need a double pole double throw switch (https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1286-w), and you will find these in stores, online order or a electrical supply house may have them. You'll need to add another box or change out the existing box to a double gang box. The outlet will need the hot side tab broken off so each plug is controlled individually by the one switch. The switch has three positions. The top is one plug, the middle is off for both outlets, the bottom is the other plug.

What I cannot tell is if the GFCI is tripping on the sauna, it may still trip when switching power since the neutral side is always connected. GFCI trips when is see a difference of 5ma current between the hot and neutral. The strange part is the sauna should not be tripping at all. If you don't understand all this, then stay with unplugging method or run a new circuit for your printer.

Thanks WorthFlorida, That confirms a few things for me.
Greg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks