2021 State of Cabinet Water Softeners

Users who are viewing this thread

pollymath

Reaction score
I've got a 20 year old US Water Hydro Quad traditional water softener with a huge brine tank.

Our house isn't big (1550sqft), and we could always use more storage. Our mechanical closet is packed full of stuff, including a domestic water heater tank, a hydronic heating commercial water tank, the brine tank and resin tank for the water softener. All of this was put on a 20" high elevated platform, despite being on the interior wall of my house, separated from the garage by a 2x6 exterior wall.

When I ask around in my neighborhood, very few of my neighbors have salt based water softeners. Quite a few have no water conditioners at all.

City says the water hardness is 14grain for our areas of the system.

My house is plumbed with copper under slab, with house main being PEX run through the unconditioned attic space. Having done some plumbing work where I removed sections of copper under the slab, the pipe condition is pretty good, with no real concerns about corrosion over the past 20 years (which was mostly tenant occupants as the house was formally a rental) - the maintenance of the softener is suspect for this reason. No apparent history of water leaks due to freezing, either.

1) We've lived other places without water softeners and the same water. We're indifferent to their benefits. Do we even really need one?

2) If I don't really need one, but it's more of a luxury item, any reason I cant use a cabinet based system?

3) Salt-Free systems help prolong water heater tanks, prevent fixture corrosion, help improve appliance lifespans...right? Or don't they really work in that way?

Reach4

Reaction score
2) If I don't really need one, but it's more of a luxury item, any reason I cant use a cabinet based system?
No. I like the softened water, but if you don't, that's fine.

Yes. Those are compact and initially less expensive. However they are also harder to repair I think, and usually are just replaced. I have a friend who expect the cabinet softener to last about 10 years, after which it gets swapped out.

3) Salt-Free systems help prolong water heater tanks, prevent fixture corrosion, help improve appliance lifespans...right? Or don't they really work in that way?
There are people that think those have value. I am skeptical.

On the other hand, I understand that polyphosphate injection systems protect pipes in the face of what would be more corrosive water.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
1) We've lived other places without water softeners and the same water. We're indifferent to their benefits. Do we even really need one?
Up to you. If you have a tankless water heater then it is highly recommended.

Cabinet units are fine but they actually can take up more space than a two tank system. Brine tanks canbe located 20 feet away and there are smaller brine tanks available. A common size is 11" square by 38" tall.
Ummm, no comment other than get a real softener, not a "conditioner". Ignore the marketing and hype.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks