2015 UPC Wet Venting Confusion

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm plumbing a basic second story full bath in cast iron, and the toilet is only 15" front to back and 8" side to side from where I want my 3" stack. I'd also like to bring in a bathtub drain at the same level so everything fits within the floor joists.

What I came up with is the following arrangement, which fits perfectly: 3" toilet flange to 3" quarter bend to the angled inlet of a 3" horizontal wye to a 3" sanitary tee for the stack. No segments of pipe, just fittings. Then the individually vented bathtub drain comes into the straight inlet of the 3" horizontal wye.

So does UPC section 908.2 on horizontal wet venting apply to this arrangement, since I'm combining the toilet and bathtub drains before the toilet vent comes off ? It's only about 3" - 4" before the vent comes off, just the length of the outlet of the 3" wye.

If 908.2 applies, I believe that means I would need to make the bathtub drain 2" and maintain a 2" vent for it, which seems excessive. Alternatively, can a 3" quarter bend with 2" side inlet be used for the vent takeoff for the toilet?

Thanks,
Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks