20 amp 240v continuous load calculations

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
I am installing three (3) digital wall heaters in my cottage on a 240v 20 amp circuit. My calculation at 80% is 3,840 Watts.

However my plan is to install (2) 1,600 volt and (1) 800 volt heaters (wall units with built in thermostats) which places me at 16.666 amps and a 4,000 watt draw on the 20-amp circuit.

It is likely all heaters would run simultaneously in my northern Michigan cottage.

Does the additional .6666 amps over the 80% 16 amp calculation present a safety or CB trip problem in practice.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On items that can be expected to be on continually, generally, the 80% rule does apply. It's actually calling for the circuit to be 125% of the load if it could be continuous for 3 or more hours, which when you look at it another way, equals 80%.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks