2 wire romex

Users who are viewing this thread

Rayh78

Reaction score
So home has older 2 wire romex no ground. Seems easiest way is to run a separate ground wire to the outlets.
No holes to drill in crawlspace since existing holes can handle the one wire.

Is it worth the extra work to just go ahead and drill new holes and run new romex. But then would have the old wires just cut off in the wall and crawlspace. Dont think can pull them out being stapled to studs.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
What is your objective? What you describe is not allowed by code, but it might help toward your objective. I am not an electrician, and an electrician is not going to approve that.

If your objective is to have 3-prong outlets, then there is an easy and permitted way: install 3-wire GFCI outlets, and label the outlets in a particular way.

Rayh78

Reaction score
What is your objective? What you describe is not allowed by code, but it might help toward your objective. I am not an electrician, and an electrician is not going to approve that.

If your objective is to have 3-prong outlets, then there is an easy and permitted way: install 3-wire GFCI outlets, and label the outlets in a particular way.

Yes, that is really my question. If it would meet code. So the ground wire cannot be separate from the romex.

Stuff

Reaction score
Did you verify that there really is no ground wire? In the old days installers used to just cut it off as they didn't know what to do with it.

The easiest solution that is legal in most places is to leave things as is. If you want to clean things up a bit you can install new two prong receptacles as they are still sold in most of the big box stores.

Running a separate ground wire is to code for "Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions" as long as it goes back to the panel/GEC. It is rarely done as by the time you make room for another wire you could re-pull a new cable.

Reach4

Reaction score
Running a separate ground wire is to code for "Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions" as long as it goes back to the panel/GEC.
I am glad I was wrong.

Rayh78

Reaction score
Did you verify that there really is no ground wire? In the old days installers used to just cut it off as they didn't know what to do with it.

The easiest solution that is legal in most places is to leave things as is. If you want to clean things up a bit you can install new two prong receptacles as they are still sold in most of the big box stores.

Running a separate ground wire is to code for "Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions" as long as it goes back to the panel/GEC. It is rarely done as by the time you make room for another wire you could re-pull a new cable.

That was exactly what I was considering. There is room to get a single green insulated 12g wire to force up thru the hole. But would have to drill holes to run one or two new 12-2 romex cables up to box. And then would look sloppy with just haveing to cut off the old romex below the floor.

Also did verify no ground. Just want to update the house.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks