2 wire PSC well pump motor

Users who are viewing this thread

B West

Reaction score
I have a 2 wire 240v PSC motor for a well pump that has the typical 2 contact type pressure switch. My question is: If a switch is used that only opens one of the 120v legs while the other is always energized, will that damage the capacitor or motor? Will it reduce the life of the capacitor because it's always charging/dis-charging?

B West

Reaction score
The capacitors on PSC motors used on compressors and fans on outdoor HVAC condensing units are always energized on most units and on mine. The manufacturer must not care about safety! Is it just about cost on these?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even the capacitors in a PSC motor should be made for continuous duty. I know at one time the capacitors in the Pentek motors were not made for continuous duty and were failing quickly. But I understand that problem has been fixed? The capacitors maybe energized but with one switch open there is no way for it to discharge because the circuit is open.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Residential manufacturers of condensing units have used single pole contactors for years just to save a nickel even on commercial units they run 2 pole contactors on 480/3.
Personally don't liked it but it passes the UL.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks