2 wire or 3 wire pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

jbruette

Reaction score
I tore down my cabin last year and built a new one this year.

I have 3 wires plus ground coming up from pump to top of casing RYB, had 3 wires coming from Safeway brand control box RYB. I want to rewire from the new cabin but....all the information I can find about the pump says it's a 2 wire pump. How can that be?

Pump was put in new in 1994 paperwork from realtor says 1/2 horse Sta-Rite 2 wire, sticker on control box says 1/2 horse Franklin model #2445050117. Franklin site says that's a 2 wire pump.

What the heck is going on? Is it possible to run a 2 wire pump with 3 wires?

Thanks
Jerry

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
control box indicates a 3-wire pump... far as I know anyway. are u sure the box is being used? 2 wire pumps would normally go from pressure switch strait to pump.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some guys only carry 3 wire RYB plus ground on their trucks, so yeah it is possible to have more conductors down the well than are really needed.

Do you have the old control box? I have seen lots of guys gut the old control box and use it as a junction box when they convert a job from a 3 wire pump install to a 2 wire install.

jbruette

Reaction score
Yes I have the old control box and it's not gutted it still has the start, run caps and the relay along with the surge protector. All the wires at the top of the casing from the pump are connected to wires from the old conduit, which were connected to the control box.

jbruette

Reaction score
That's what I'm assuming and that's how I was going to wire it until I started reading stickers so I could determine the HP of the pump and size a new control box. Now I'm not sure if I need a control box with surge protection in it. The Franklin model on the sticker has built in surge protection.

Another question...is it possible to run a 1/2 horse pump with a 1/3 horse control box?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The newer Franklin motors have pretty good lightning protection right out of the box. Nothing will stop a direct hit from lightning.

Use a 1/2 hp control box, be sure it is the proper voltage

jbruette

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help craigpump. I noticed on the Franklin website they had a chart with ohm values for their pumps, do you think I could use an ohmmeter and check for start and run windings?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sure you can, that's the best way to know for sure what you have in the well. I didn't suggest that because most homeowners don't have an ohm meter and if they do it doesn't work.

jbruette

Reaction score
4:24 AM? And I thought I got up early must have had a early job to go to today.

Okay then, should I be checking resistance from wire to wire or from wire to the well casing? You know R to B, R to Y, Y to B or R to ground, Y to ground, B to ground?

Thanks again for your help

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No you check your windings yellow t red and then yellow to black

Actually it was 5:24am. I'm always up early, you never know when someone will call out of water or with a ruptured tank in their basement.

Besides, I love my work

jbruette

Reaction score
Went to cabin today and rechecked wires to pump. At the top of the casing I have Black to Black, Red to Red, Yellow to Yellow and Green with the Green hooked to the casing.

Apparently they didn't gut the control box when they bypassed it. I assumed it was in use because all the components were still in it.

Readings on Ohm meter 1/2 HP 230 volt pump
R-B 4
Y-B OL
R-Y OL

Does this sound right?

When I rewire it should I use 12-3 or 12-2?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
They don't look right for a 3 wire pump....make sure the wires are not hooked to control box or anythingn else....check them right at the well head. These readings look like it is a 2 wire and the yellow is ground. Check each wire to ground and report back.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks