2" well poor water volume. Pressure fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan Hillman

Reaction score
Hello Internetland! Anyone having thoughts on this issue is encouraged to chime in and I will respectfully appreciate all points of view and thoughts.

I have a 70' 2" single pipe well. Static level was 39' when drilled in 1974. Water quality is fantastic with no noticeable iron and little lime. Does not require a softener.
New AY McDonald 1510P pump (1HP) that replaced a 1974-1979 3/4 HP Burke. Unsure of model but another multi-stage pump. 20Gal bladder tank, recent.
I replaced the pump assuming that the old Burke was worn out. While my pressure is now at my liesure (within reason of course) I still have a problem with volume. This thing might pump 1 or 2 GPM when the bladder tank is exhausted.
No trouble priming or operating pump and does not cavitate. It does surge until enough back pressure is adjusted in. When I pulled the old pump the well was full to the top and I have never ran out of water. But, as I said, the delivery is pathetic. According to the driller, it pumped 700GPH at 2 hrs when drilled.
What on earth could be the problem?
In reality, I have no idea if there is even an ejector in the well as the driller didn't install one and to be honest, the guy that owned this property was a bit of a hack. It only says that there is a 3' 1 1/4" tail and a 1 1/4 coupling. For all I know, there is no jet down there and I am drawing whatever the pump can deliver without one. I did pull the drop pipe up about 2 feet when I put a new adapter on, when I replaced the pump.

Anyway, the whole thing has me scratching my head which, while not rare, is unusual.

Regards and many thanks,
Dan

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the water level is getting any where close to 24', a single pipe jet just cannot lift it. You will need a packer, two pipe jet, or a submersible if the water is that deep. You say " back pressure adjusted in" makes me think it is a two pipe packer type system. But if would have been hard to pull up 2' if that was the case.

Dan Hillman

Reaction score
Two pipe, I suppose it is in effect. A portion of the water is diverted back down the casing to drive water to the surface up a single drop pipe. From everything I have read, this is a common setup and this pump is capable of 7.5GPM @ 70'. This is a single drop pipe with a casing adapter. Thanks.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
It’s a packer style jet. It sounds like the well itself is plugging off after 40+ years. Around these parts a well that old would have steel casing and a stainless screen but I’m not sure what kind of completion you’d have so check with local drillers. We’d pull the suction pipe and test the well by jetting it with air. Some may use a bailer.

If there is a screen it can be chemically cleaned to hopefully restore the yield.

Also don’t forget to inspect the jet nozzle and Venturi for cracks or trash.

Dan Hillman

Reaction score
Yeah. I believe that's the term used. I see terms like ejector, packer, single pipe, double pipe. Still, I am not familiar with these well abbreviations and the DPH (dept. public health) drillers sheet says it was finished with a 3' 1 1/4" tail and a 1 1/4 coupling and I am not sure what that means?? It says screen, Clayton Mark, gauze. I assume gauze is the type of screen, but a 3', 1 1/4" tail? Is that some type of well point? It IS a drilled well with a 2" steel casing. Still, much thanks guys. It's nice to know that there are people out there ready to help out. I am a retired Tool and Die maker and residential builder. I worked in NW Houston for about 4 years back in the late 70's/early 80's and currently reside far out in the sticks and it's cold. LOL. Saying 3 degrees Wednesday night. So, it looks like I will be pulling the drop pipe? I suppose I should install a new ejector at that time? Anyway, thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
index.php

There can be a tailpipe/tail extending down below the leathers and above the foot valve that could be as much as 35 ft. The tailpipe could draw water reliably 25 ft below the ejector/jet.... sometimes more than one word is used to describe something.

Dan Hillman

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch. As I said, I am unfamiliar with the terminology and I was unsure of what it meant. I apologize if this has been covered before but my searches didn't turn up any answers to my specific questions. This site is a real wealth of information from real world people. When I do this job, I will post my steps and what I found for anyone else dealing with this issue.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is a tailpipe it doesn’t do anything so in my opinion you could leave it out if you wanted to.

I assume the 1.25” couplings were mentioned because sometimes they used 1” pipe instead.

If the ejector is in good shape just reuse it.

Dan Hillman

Reaction score
Very good. Once again. Thanks so much. Depending on the weather I may do this soon. We did have -1 Wednesday night though. While we are used to cold, that's a bit much although my well is in a pit and enclosed in a 12x12 shed and, being a tool guy, I do have heaters. I want to do it ASAP since it is driving me to distraction. I will certainly post my findings and steps for future reference. BTW, yes, my drop pipe is 1". When I installed the new head adapter I had to turn a reducer coupling down to fit inside the housing. Luckily, I have a lathe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks