2 water heaters or 1 big tank or other possible solutions

Users who are viewing this thread

TomXC

Reaction score
Hi All, I am going to remodel my house in San Jose and add second floor with 2 new bathrooms. Now I have one 50 gallon gas tank water heater. After remodeling, I will have 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. (3-4 adults and 3 children). I will place the unit in garage.

My question is that what is the most cost efficient way to supply hot water? Please include all the cost (unite cost, utility cost, installation cost and permit cost). I have several options:

1. One 75 gallon gas tank water heater.

2. 40 gallon heat pump + 40 gallon gas tank

3. 50 gallon tank + tank-less gas/electricity

4. tank-less + storage + 40 gallon tank

I will be glad if anyone can help me.

Thanks,

Tom

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Without knowing the local gas & electricity rates, rate structures, your approximate usage, and any state/local subsidies for high efficiency equipement, there is no way to make even a crude financial analysis on this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For most people, a tank-type WH is a no maintenance item...while you can sometimes extend the life by treating it better, they tend to just work until they don't, and then you usually replace it. This is NOT true with a tankless system which costs more to install and will have problems if you do not do regular maintenance on them. Overall, they can last longer than a tank-type, but that isn't always a given. The parts (say a control board) are not particularly cheap nor is a heat exchanger. You can find someone to replace a tank-type WH pretty much anywhere, anytime (you'll obviously pay more off normal working hours, but they can do it). Finding someone that understands, has the parts, and can fix a tankless system is not a given. You may be in an area where they are well supported, but a typical plumber doesn't have the parts for fixing one.

On a tank-type system, the larger the tank, the lower the surface area, so there's the potential of lower standby losses. IOW, two smaller tanks will have more of a standby loss than one equivalent larger tank, especially on a gas-fired one.

Putting in numerous tankless systems will probably mean greatly expanding your gas service. Even though your average use may not be huge, you'd have a HUGE peak demand. SOme utilities base your customer charge on the demand level, and that could go up significantly. A typical tankless system runs around 200Kbtu, and the gas line must be able to support it or the things don't work right at all. This could be a huge extra cost to expand the gas supply, maybe back to the road, and likely at least the meter and internal piping.

Teenagers will tend to take long, hot showers unless you enforce the issue. That can be tough with a tank. Personally, I'm in that category! Plus, I have a 6' tub that I use regularly which helps my back.

If you have the vertical drop, a hot water recovery system can make a tank function as a much larger one when taking showers (doesn't work with tubs - there must be hot water going down the drain, and a tub doesn't have that until you're finished).

When the hot water source is a long ways from the point(s) of use, during the remodel, you might want to install a hot water circulation return line and plan for a pump. You should also insulate all of the lines. Without one, in a large house, the furthest point of use could take minutes to get hot water the first time of the day or after a gap in hot water use. Keep in mind that even before you get to use it in that case, you may have pushed 3-4 or more gallons into the WH while it's purging the lines, decreasing the amount of hot you ultimately could use.

Reach4

Reaction score
Two tanks in series avoids the balancing problem.

GTOwagon

Reaction score
I like series if in fact one fails, you still have hot water. Less of it, but the urgency to replace the wh is lessened so that you can go a few days before replacing the broken one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks