2 water heater tanks parallel question

Users who are viewing this thread

jacdela123

Reaction score
I have 2 water heater tanks (3 years old) set up in parallel. Water heater tank2 broke down a few days ago, the plumber fixed it by replacing thermopile and control valve. Everything seems fine.

i just noticed today when i opened the hot water faucet, water heater tank1 burner immediately started, but water heater tank2 is still in pilot light.
i waited for many minutes and opened another hot water faucet (kitchen) but water heater tank2 is still in pilot light.. it seems water heater tank2 is acting as a back up..

Water heater tank2 is ok coz when I increased the temperature for tank2, the burner worked. As i said it seems tank2 is acting as a back up..

This confuses me coz the way i'm looking at the diagram below they should act together at the same time.
I'm also looking at my water heater I don't see anything that would make me think tank2 is acting as a backup.

I wonder if this caused tank2 to break down faster coz it's almost always on pilot light.

Another theory I see is water pressure inlet going to tank1 is stonger so way more hot water is coming out of tank1 as opposed to tank2.

1603s.JPG

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the enclosed diagram an accurate representation of your set up?

If so you have the cold/hot entering and coming out the wrong nipples.

jacdela123

Reaction score
when i checked online the problem is, it is not balanced.
i did notice outlet piping length is shorter for tank1 than in tank2.
plumber didn't put the T outlet intersection in the middle.
what i did is tried to balance the system by partially closing inlet valve for tank1.
i opened hot water faucet, i checked if both tanks burner starts, there's about 2 minute gap.
i'm fine with it. i guess that's the closest thing i can get to getting it balanced.

do you see anything possible problem with partially closing inlet valve for tank1.

i do know re-piping this is the proper way but for now i don't see the need to do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks