2 washer machines one drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think it would work...if both were draining at the same time, I think you'd get backup in the line. If you could increase the pipe size to 3" where they combine, it should work. the ID of a 2" pipe, say = a factor of 1, a 3" pipe, being the square of the radius = 2.25, or over twice the ID area, so more than twice the capacity of the 2" line. You'd need to properly vent each trap so when one drained, it didn't siphon the other's trap dry.

Speede541

Reaction score
A washer has a DWV fixture unit of 2, and a 2" drain pipe has a capacity of 6. Besides, a washer only has a 1-1/4" drain pipe. Is there a reason why this shouldn't be done?

I've given half a thought to two side-by-side combination washer/dryer units, vs. a separate washer and dryer. No solid plans or research into these machines, but that would be part of the planning.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some codes allow two washers on 2". UPC in Washington would be okay with 2".
IPC wants 3" after the vent. IPC wants that for suds control. Though, I've seen 3" that wasn't sloped correctly have issues too.

A washer may pump out with a small line, but once it hits the standpipe and trap, it has to drain by gravity.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NYC has increased the discharge from one washing machine from 2" to 3 "

If you have a 2" waste line and a double sink laundry tub you maybe able to use two machines as each tub maybe able to handle the volume with a controlled flow . The newer machines use a lot less water

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks